Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Christmas and Lockdown

When a provincial lockdown is announced on Christmas week, which even in normal times is always a busy shopping week, this is what you see at the grocery store at 7:50AM.


That's right! Lockdown will begin right after Christmas and probably last for 4 weeks. While grocery stores like ours will remain open, they will be limited to 50 customers if I understand correctly. 

While the new rules aren't in effect just yet, I joined the line 10 minutes before the eight o'clock opening to try to be sure to be within the first 50 shoppers. Thus I could count on getting inside relatively quickly, for it is winter after all which makes protracted waiting time rather unappealing. When I saw the line I estimated that there were fewer than 50 customers in it, so I joined.  

The line in front of me

I was back near the road, but people kept coming and coming and lining up behind me.

Once the doors were opened, we moved along right smartly, and I was soon inside. I asked the manager who was counting at the door what number I was -- 41. I had estimated well.

When I first joined the line, I texted the above photos to the family, and Shauna asked if, given the situation, I would also pick up ingredients for her Christmas lasagna. Of course, I would, and so she texted her list. That left me sorting through two lists as I ambled about what quickly became a pretty crowded store. Two lists would be a challenge because my poor little brain finds it difficult enough to work through a single list. However, I managed to fill both of the lists well with some back and forthing throughout the store. Of course, one-way asiles made the task even more burdensome when I had to backtrack every time I missed something.

Speaking of backtracking, I was all done except for the ricotta cheese but realized that it was way back on the other side of the store by the produce section and not in the dairy section. So back I went resignedly.

Overall, I would say that I settled in well and to some extent almost enjoyed the challenge. The crowds were what they were with everybody masked and rather calmly going about their business, so it went pretty smoothly all things considered.

But since it had taken me quite a long time to get all of the goods corralled into my burgeoning cart, by the time I hit the lineup, it stretched up one asile and down another. This was before it even reached the normal collecting area.

Up one aisle

Down the next aisle

But all of the cashiers were at their stations, and the lineup moved along at a pretty good pace.

I had already decided to use our accumulated points for the Christmas order, and they came in extra handy considering that I was adding Shauna's order to our already big order.Therefore, I ended up paying only $8 on a $238 order, so was rather grateful and  will consider the outing a successful part of Christmas.

However, I have already booked a spot for Express Pickup for the pre New Year shopping next Tuesday because the lockdown will be in full effect, and then we will also have the New Year rush for provender. To secure a pickup time, I have put a few things on the list for now and chosen a pickup time. This has reserved me a spot, and over the week, we can contemplate all that we really need, and I can add those items to the list up until Monday. The procedure should work well, just as it did back during the first wave.

By the way, when I left the store, the lineup was just as long as when I had entered, and I was glad that I had arrived early.

Now, Sue and I are able to take a few days to relax and gather ourselves before the kids visit on Christmas Day.

18 comments:

Marcia said...

I had not read that Canada has a 4 week lockdown. Sounds like you know how to manage it for now.

Merry Christmas.

MARY G said...

Well managed. I have to go and join the line-up today. And our New Year's dinner out is cancelled, so more items on the list. Sigh. Where is a sleigh and a reindeer when you really need one.
Happy Christmas lasagna day to you all.

Barbara Rogers said...

That's certainly a big store...and it must have been fun traipsing all over the place. So glad you were successful, and have planned pick-up next week. Hope you all have a great Christmas, with family dropping by.

Ed said...

This post pretty much leaves me amazed. Except for the one way aisles that our grocery store did maybe the first two or three weeks of the pandemic in March before doing away with them, we come and go as normal shopping. But I do try to go first thing in the morning when things aren't busy just so I can socially distance myself.

Mara said...

At least in your supermarkets they sell clothes and such as well. Over here, all shops that are not food related or personal hygiene and drug related are closed. And our supermarkets do not sell clothes and only a limited amount of other stuff. Ah well, that's what life is right now. Hope we will soon be back to normal. Whatever normal may be.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Sounds exhausting. I hardly ever venture out but I had some pills that I needed at the Walmart pharmacy which doesn't open until 9 so I figured I'd get there real early on Monday and check out past the RX at 9. Good plan ...I got there a little after 7 ... only to see that it looked like half the population of our county planned the same way. BUT, I was glad to see they had a monitor at the door and "No Mask, No entry" was in effect so I felt a little better. Would we have every guessed last year at this time what we were in for? Could be worse so I'll hang on to that and wish you and all the family a very good Christmas.

gigi-hawaii said...

It must be unpleasant to stand in line outside in the cold.

DJan said...

I also didn't realize Canada (at least your part of it) was going into a 4-week lockdown. You got a great bit of your shopping behind you, so it sounds like it was a successful outing. Plus, it made for a very interesting blog post. :-)

Mage said...

WOW....you did good. All aroound good.

Margaret said...

That is an incredible savings. This illustrates why your numbers north of the border are substantially better than ours. Yay for you, and boo for us! :(

Jenn Jilks said...

Goodness. That is quite the trek!
JB went in yesterday. He did pretty well. It's quieter here.
The was clever to prebook for next week. I'll send you my list! :-)
J's been getting groceries at the drug store, as well. We always seem to need new meds. Happy lockdown!

William Kendall said...

I'll admit, I'm very frustrated with this turn of events. It feels like our area has done a lot of good work to keep numbers down, and we're being punished for it because the GTA can't do the same.

Red said...

You're a good shopper if you can do all this. You need a pen though so you can cross of what yo buy. I also write down all the prices.

Karen said...

I had to pick up a couple of things today. Thank goodness the lines were nonexistent. I was in and out of two stores in just a few minutes. It was nuts at FoodBasics the other day though. I left without joining the line.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Joanne Noragon said...

I have yet to take advantage of pickup, but kitty litter crossed my mind today.

PipeTobacco said...

I am glad that you are having a lockdown.... I think it will do your region a lot of good, and will allow things to stabilize again. I wish we were to have a mandatory lockdown again, as well... for we are at a much more precarious Covid level, but our state legislature has cut the legs out from under our Governor so we have a “sort-of” policy that is not doing much this time. My wife and I are going to hunker down for as long as we can into January.. and I am hoping the U acts responsibly and mandates fully online through January. But we shall see.

PipeTobacco

KGMom said...

Yet another country on lockdown. Our daughter and her family live in London, UK--and had reservations to stay at a cottage in the Yorkshire Dales over Christmas. Then Boris announced that London had been moved to Tier 4 (a new tier...before 3 had been the highest). So plans scuttled.
We are on a kind of lockdown--businesses somewhat closed--no indoor dining. But department stores are still open.
Can't wait for that vaccine!

Rita said...

My DIL, Leah, does the Costco grocery shopping for four households (family) and she says it is quite the adventure. But that is only once every 4-6 weeks. In-between she does the pick-ups at the local grocery store. Those are so easy! It's too bad all the store don't do the drive ups. Many are now--besides grocery stores. Much safer, I think. :) Have a wonderful holiday!!