Friday, February 03, 2023

We Figured It Out

We are on Day 3 of  AC's surgery. I didn't think that there would be more to report, but some of you have been concerned about the catheter issue, so here we are.

Back on Wednesday, it seemed that they were explaining the catheter and the two bags almost as soon as I awoke from surgery. I don't process techy things very well at the best of times, and being a little spaced out after anesthetic was, most certainly, not the best of times, to say the very least. They did try to tell me how to change bags, but they didn't explain anything to Sue who is good at these sorts of things. They handed her the bag of stuff, and off we went.

By the way, whatever I say about what could have been done better, the nurses were phenomenal in caring for me. Before surgery, I had to go to the bathroom. The nearest facility was in use, so one gal actually rolled my gurney to the farther bathroom and then helped me get in there. To repeat: they were wonderful.

But, we had two 75-year-old seniors going home right after surgery without a lot of support. In fact, the only additional help would come two days later (which is today), when a home care worker would come by to remove the catheter.

My leg bag was strapped on, and when it came time to figure out what to do for the night, we couldn't quite come to grips with how to change over to the night bag. The tubing wasn't terribly long, and we don't have a bed rail on which to attach it, so we couldn't quite compute the logistics

Therefore, I opted to spend the night in my chair with the leg bag. I was very conscious of keeping it lower than me as best as possible, but it was marginal. I set my watch alarm to go off every two hours to check drainage and the bag. I could lie on my back, which is not how I sleep, or roll a bit to one side. I didn't sleep much.

Fortunately, we have Shauna, and Shauna has connections through her job. The next day, she brought us a bigger bag with a longer tube. She also had a nurse friend drop by to explain it all to Sue. It was also fortunate, that we happened to have a walker in the house, on which we could hang the bag. That device is here for use after a possible foot-fusion surgery. But that is another story.

Before bedtime, Sue got me organized before she crashed for the night after two difficult days and nights for her as well. I was still in the chair, but I could make my way to the guest bed when I felt ready to retire for the night.

In bed, I was able to change positions as needed, and I had one of my best sleeps in a long time.

This morning, she was there to help me the instant that I awoke. She reversed bags again as I looked on in absolute befuddlement. Before long, I was at the computer with coffee and ready to face anther day.

As I wrote, above, a home care worker should visit today to remove the dadgum contraption, but there is another story here about that situation that I shan't go into today. If and when I am free of the device, I shall shower and maybe feel human once again.


22 comments:

Boud said...

Sounds like an indwelling catheter. You'll be glad to get rid of that. You might want to ask about a Texas cath, if you're going to need one a bit longer. Much less possibility of infection, and very possible for non medical people, including the patient, to change. Personal experience with Handsome Partner.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a pain in the... well, you know.

This really irks me. Why bother explaining things to someone groggy from surgery? Good thing you have your women around you!
Glad to see you vertical!

Marcia said...

Despite what you said about the nursing staff being great, they should never have depended upon telling you how to manage. It should have been explained to Sue. Glad you had Sha to help straighten things out.

Vicki Lane said...

So glad you are past the worst of it. But shame on the folks at the hospital for not explaining things better before tossing you out.

gigi-hawaii said...

I have been scrolling down to get the full story. Boy, you've been through hell, but I am glad you can tolerate the post-surgical pain. I had umbilical hernia surgery in 2012, and I had such a hard time with pain. It hurt so bad. I had to sleep in my recliner for 2 weeks, because it hurt to get out of bed. Anyway, I am glad you don't have to face this ordeal alone. You have great support from people who care about you. Take care and God bless. Aloha.

Margaret said...

It's wonderful to have the extra support! You're fortunate to have your daughter nearby. I'm relieved that the contraption will soon be gone and you can get back to a more normal routine.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Not the most pleasant of situations to be sure, AC, and glad you did get support from Shauna and Sue and others. It's good to know the nursing staff were so nice, but it would have been better if the procedures was fully explained before you were discharged. Now, you know what to do and hopefully not a next time. Thanks for the 🎂 birthday wishes, much appreciated.

RedPat said...

What an ordeal. I hope the home care worker turns up today.

Celia said...

Nice to see you sitting up. Giving instructions to us while we are stilled doped up is nuts. Glad your family took such great care of you. Keep healing,

DJan said...

The worst is over though, right? I sure hope so! Glad for all the care you're getting from your two family members. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow, you had to put that thing here there and yon without any good directions...no wonder you had a bad night...and definitely deserved the good one. Hang in there...oops, maybe you'd like to be done with the hanging bag part.

William Kendall said...

Quite a headache!

Ed said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sometimes feels a bit befuddled by all the instructions told post surgery.

Red said...

Don't talk to me after anesthetic. I will talk a good line but nothing is remembered. I know this so insist that the Micro Manager is there when I wake up and they are in a panic to give instructions. Have a rapid recovery.

The Furry Gnome said...

I had one for a year before I learned to do self-cathing!

Marie Smith said...

Glad you got it sorted, AC. Hope all went well today too. Have a good night sleep, my friend!

MARY G said...

Oh good! Yes, the medical profession, never good at explaining things at the best of times, is really sucking at the moment at patient post care. And the lack of explanation about your bag changes is just typical. The problem, as I understand it, is chronic understaffing. You get a sympathetic nurse on the guerney, but no one to really make sure you can make it at home, and at home is where you go. Out of sight and out of mind. It worries me, and I have just no idea at all what would fix it short of major changes like better salaries and working conditions. Short term, be glad you have a daughter with a knowledgeable friend.
Still loving Sue's first photo last time.

DrumMajor said...

SO glad you had the nurse buddy to come make things better. Just remember to bring your little yellow purse with you when you change rooms! Oh Yea, owie! A "texas" catheter is a condom catheter with similar drainage devices. It's placed with adhesive on the OUTSIDE, so yes, it prevents bladder infections from long-term or life-long indwelling catheters stuck in the bladder with the balloon sitting and irritating the bottom of the bladder. You needed the indwelling for a short time to help the inner walls heal from the "trauma" the doc did with the procedure. Better than your tube getting blocked and clamping while trying to heal. Such little things in life (being able to pee and poo) become so important when they aren't happening. Linda in Kansas

Jeanie said...

As you might be able to tell from these comments -- I'm reading backwards and thinking "what surgery?" I have a feeling I'll know in the next few minutes.

Kay said...

OK... I'm getting caught up now...
So your procedure wasn't simple after all. I've had that happened where the technicians don't tell me clearly what to do and give me written instructions without telling me I need to read it right away. They also told me things when I was just coming out of anesthesia. Sheesh!
I'm just glad your support crew was there to help you throughout and you finally got some good rest.

Granny Sue said...

Good grief, I missed all this while being may busy getting ready for weekend visitors! Good on you for posting it all. Thankful that it went well for you.

Debby said...

Ugh, AC. I've been doing catch-up on your trials and tribulations. I don't know why staff do that. When they made the decision to send Tim home, it was very abrupt, with no warning. His son had planned a visit, so I quickly called his daughter who had just left the hospital, and told her to tell her brother not to make the trip in. She was livid that he was being released and seemed to believe that I lobbied for it (I hadn't). She was shouting, "You're OKAY with this?" I tried to explain, she shouted, "Whatever happens next is on you~!" At that point, they were discussing the discharge information with Tim (who just had a stroke????). I said, "I can't right now..." and disconnected the call. So his family is furious at me because I hung up.

I don't need this in the middle of the rest of it.

But anyways, back to my point...it seems that the medical profession would understand when a patient is not able to process the information that he is given.

Your case sounds like a nightmare.