Thursday, February 23, 2023

Ice Beyond the Dam

Not long ago, I came across one of my old photos of ice on trees by the dam at Appleton. Appleton is a hamlet a few miles downriver from us on a bend in the river. At the bend there is a dam, I think because there was once an adjacent power station. I wasn't happy with the former photo, so I decided to return this year. I ported my longest zoom lens because the icy trees lay across the river.

Well, despite the well-below-freezing temperatures, there was not as much ice as I had seen previously, but there was some. There was still a problem, however, for there was deep snow leading to the one spot where I could access the riverbank for a good view of the scene.

I was forced to stand by the side of the road and point my long lens through a smallish gap in the bushes.

My idea was to make that fallen tree before the wall the focal point and to take a series of three photos, each one zooming in on the tree a little more.



Under the circumstances, I think I did as well as I could. While I would have preferred an even closer photo of the ice on the tree, I couldn't have zoomed in much more, even with my longest 400mm lens.

I am not sure if the remaining wall was once part of the power plant. There seem to be too many windows for that sort of building, but you never know.

While there, I did take a few other photos, but I don't think that they really fit in with this series, so I will likely share them in a later post.

14 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Great photos, my favourite is the last one.

Debby said...

Wow. Okay. This is Debby who will now totally shut up about her crazy weather. It looks like plenty of winter left in your neck of the woods.

Barbara Rogers said...

It's always great to hear the background of your photos...no I don't mean the aperture etc, but your efforts. That was certainly a challenge, and I like 2 and 3 as photos, while 1 shows what you were up against!

RedPat said...

I actually like the 1st one the best but they are all good.

Jeanie said...

That first photo looks like a story -- like looking into the ruins of some castle in the woods. Narnia, maybe? Or Avalon looking into a ruin of Camelot? Yes, I agree with RedPat, that first one takes me on a journey.

Marie Smith said...

Nice series, AC. Love the last one!

Margaret said...

I can't decide on my favorite, probably the middle one.

PipeTobacco said...

I very much enjoy old building photos, so those parts of the beautiful images were my favorite.

PipeTobacco

Granny Sue said...

The first photo is magical. It makes me wonder about the history of the place, who lived or worked there, what time period, what did they wear...food for the imagination!

Red said...

I like two and three where you eliminate the modern structure in the upper left.

roentare said...

This is the type of photograph I wish I had more opportunities to take. Gorgeous icicle picks and abandoned house!

MARY G said...

Allmthree are crisp and veryntactile.,worth wading through the muck, although we did not get as big a fall as was forecast.
Sad about the canal ... I enjoyed the foretaste of March, but it sure wrecked Winterlude skating. Did you know that Wheelers boiled and got syrup?

William Kendall said...

Terrific shots!

Jenn Jilks said...

I like Appleton! It is a great spot.
The museum is sweet. I donated some very old photos my mother had. They do good work.