Sunday, February 26, 2023

Celtic Jam

Cape Breton is an island in the province of Nova Scotia on Canada's east coast. From its largely Scottish roots, the musical heritage of Cape Breton continues. There are hobby fiddlers in the Ottawa area who come together to enjoy that style of fiddling.


They meet on alternate Sunday afternoons for a Cape Breton Session. Last Sunday, they posted a clip of their final piece of the jam. (Although I need to speak harshly to whomever thought that holding the phone vertically was a good idea.😀


I took up the fiddle in my early old age, or late middle age really, and while I didn't get too far with it, I did attend some jam sessions (not with this group) and did manage to play along with some of the tunes. Sometimes, I found playing with the group very satisfying.

There’s something about playing in unison and that goes for singing too. That is one reason why this non-believer still enjoys good memories my distant, gospel church background. 

I really appreciate that I had the opportunity to play the fiddle, albeit in a modest way that didn't extend too long in this little life of mine. I did not exactly scale the heights of violin virtuosity, but, dang it all, I enjoyed trying. 

12 comments:

Boud said...

I agree with you about playing music in a group. My short, later life, violin playing in trios and duets was great while I could physically do it. Then I went on to recorder playing, less physical, and had a whole new lot of fun. Now it's occasional solo playing, okay in some ways.

Debby said...

This looks like great fun. If I were there, I know what I'd be up to every alternating Saturday!

DJan said...

I'm glad you got to experience the joy of playing with a group. I don't play any instrument but can certainly enjoy it vicariously! :-)

Vicki Lane said...

I love the Cape Breton music. And agree about the pleasure of making music as part of a group--though as I can't carry a tune or play an instrument, my experience has been limited.

Margaret said...

How odd to hold the phone vertically! Were you the one who posted the link a while back to a variety of different styles of fiddling? That was utterly fascinating to me and I watched it multiple times. If it wasn't you, you need to find it and watch it!

Blondi Blathers said...

I've found playing guitar with others and singing with others gives me absolute joy. JOY. How often do we feel JOY in our lives! JOY. Not happiness. Not contentment. Not fun. JOY.
-Kate

Red said...

Hey, there's still time or you to get back on the fiddle or learn some other instrument.

Granny Sue said...

Oh, how nice! I have had a few friends travel up there to play music. This hands down my favorite kind of music. Not one lick of musical ability in me as far as playing, but I sure loved singing the old ballads. Since I stopped storytelling, I seldom sing any more.

Granny Sue said...

Oh, how nice! I have had a few friends travel up there to play music. This hands down my favorite kind of music. Not one lick of musical ability in me as far as playing, but I sure loved singing the old ballads. Since I stopped storytelling, I seldom sing any more.

William Kendall said...

Terrific music. A professor I knew, retired now, came from Cape Breton and went home every summer. He referred to the causeway bridge ss linking the rest of Canada to Cape Breton and not the other way around.

RedPat said...

Take it up again and get back into the group. It must be great fun.

Jenn Jilks said...

I loved singing! And I led student choirs, back in the day.