Wednesday, February 22, 2023

On Second Look

I posted a bleak winter sunset a few days ago along with a blue hour photo.

In going through photos after the shoot, I initially rejected this one.


When I had another look, I cropped it, lifted the shadows a bit, took away some of the heavy blue in the foreground, et voila, we suddenly have a photo worth sharing. 

I had to hold the camera up over a snowbank to get the shot, but it worked out well enough in the end. Sometimes when you shoot in RAW mode (ie not fully developed), you just need to nudge the photo a little to bring out its potential. What I didn't have to nudge in this case was the sunset colour/ That was always there.

Considering the trying circumstances at the time, I find myself liking this result well enough.

17 comments:

DJan said...

I too think it's quite nice.

Barbara Rogers said...

Very nice indeed.

Karen said...

I like it. I see the RAW mode setting on my Canon t100 but don't have a clue what it is for.

gigi-hawaii said...

Beautiful.

William Kendall said...

I like the result.

Vicki Lane said...

Wow! That's a beauty!

Blondi Blathers said...

Speaking of blue, I love the way (in my own photos) that shadows on the snow are seriously blue, so blue it would be hard to believe if I hadn't been out there and seen the colour for myself.

Your photo is lovely, makes me want to find a park bench and have a sit-down by the water. Ha. Not going to happen around here for a few more months. But I have booked my lakeside cabin for an entire seven days this coming summer so I have much to look forward to.

-Kate

RedPat said...

I like this shot a lot. Glad that you showed it.

PipeTobacco said...

I do very much like the image!!!!

PipeTobacco

Marie Smith said...

It’s a beauty, AC. Take care!

Margaret said...

I love it! I'm a big fan of color plus trees and water.

Joanne Noragon said...

That's a good one. A keeper!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Despite your misgivings about capturing this shot, the results were very nice, AC. The scene looks peaceful despite the wintry weather.

MARY G said...

Yes. Keeper for sure. I love how the crop (I have seen summer shots from this location) frames the bench.
I don't usually do RAW because Corel PhotoPAINT gives a lot of colour edit options. I must try it, though. You really have both talent and skill. And yes, I think that the two are different.

Jeanie said...

Definitely a photo worth sharing.

Granny Sue said...

Beautiful!

Jenn Jilks said...

That is a great one!