Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Trying the Expert Level

I think that I had started the transition before my surgery, but I had little else that I wanted to do once I was in my catheter-limited state of being.

I am referring to how I play Sudoku.

In the past, I have occasionally posted that I play Sudoku on the iPad just about every morning. I have described how I usually play a game designated as HARD while allowing myself to make notations. I have followed this by a round designated as MEDIUM level. To make this easier level more challenging I have played it without resorting to notations. My goal would be to complete the more difficult level within 20 minutes and the easier game within 10 minutes.

Occasionally, I would give the EXPERT level a whirl, but I would end up deciding that those games took too much time and that I also failed too often. I mean the more difficult EXPERT level games could consume the best part of an hour.

Recently, with a little more time on my hands, I tried one more time to apply my dubious talents to the Expert level.

Strangely enough, I have been doing much better at this level than before. I can complete most games within 30 minutes or not much longer. And although I do make some blunders or reach some impasses, I am solving many of the puzzles without error. Although 30 minutes seems like a lot, it is pretty close to the time that I had been spending on the hard game plus the medium one.

At the beginning of each round, the game tells me how people fare in a game of the difficulty that they are giving me on that day. Most of the time on EXPERT setting, they tell me that only 40-45% of the players who try games of this particular level difficultly, succeed. Occasionally, a given game reaches the 50% success rate. I think the highest percentage I have seen at the expert level is 55%.

The lowest percentage that I have come across, until yesterday, was a meager 35% rate of success. Somehow, I did solve that puzzle without error, but it took me a whole lot of head-scratching and close examination, and even then it took me a whole hour to finally solve it. Then just yesterday, it gave me a game that it said had only a 32% success rate, and I am here to tell you that I didn’t get very far.

Even though I have recently been more successful than previously, I confess that I am very slow. After the game, a player will be given some information. What they tell you varies from game to game, but when they tell me my speed compared to others, it is something like, "You are faster than 20% of the payers." That sounds better than being slower than 80%, but it means the same thing.

In a sense, I am both a good and bad candidate for Sudoku. I do have a very logical and convergent-thinking sort of brain, but I also have a brain that tends to wander and not be very precise. So, my wandering mind can easily click a 2 instead of a 3. Yesterday, I actually made a mistake on the very first move of the game. I had meant to put a notation into a square, but I had the Enter mode, rather than the Notation mode, activated. Sigh. While I am able to take the move back, the game still records an error. I wish we could be forgiven for an error by telling the app that it was a careless error rather than a logical one, but alas, an error is an error is an error  

In case you are interested, I play on my tablet, using the app by Easybrain, but I am sure there are others.. I did eventually spend a few $ to purchase the app because I was playing it a lot and was getting tired of the popup ads.


14 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I’ve been dabbling in soduku lately, at the easy ones! You are an expert alright, AC. I will never get there. I like wordl too. I’m better at that.

Patio Postcards said...

Well done you moving to expert. I will probably always be a easy or beginner Soduku player.

DJan said...

I love wordle but really dislike sudoku. I guess I don't have the right kind of brain. :-)

Ed said...

As I have said before here, I do a Sudoku puzzle daily and they progressively get harder as the week goes by. I generally solve them unless I don't make some silly mistake which I on rare occasions do. But I have found that many times when I reach a supposed impasse, to just set the puzzle down and work on something else for awhile before coming back to it. I have found that when I come back with a fresh mind, I often figure out my next play that wasn't obvious before. I do mine on a paper copy though. Setting it down may be harder on a tablet if they don't save your progress.

Vicki Lane said...

I am so math-averse that I've never even tried Soduku. Besides, I don't need another addicting game--I have Wordle.

Boud said...

I like numbers but sudoku and I are incompatible.

Margaret said...

I do geography and word puzzles but have never done Sudoku. My brain isn't very logical and I envision a lot of frustration which doesn't get my morning started off very well.

Red said...

I also like sudoku and find that from various easy, hard and expert vary. The app you use sounds interesting so I will check it out.

William Kendall said...

I find it baffling.

Joanne Noragon said...

Soduku, if unscrambled, would still spell impossible.

Joanne Noragon said...

Soduku, if unscrambled, would still spell impossible.

roentare said...

It is a nice brain exercise every now and then. Walking improves cerebral perfusion hence better cognitive performance. It might be better to do soduku after you take a walk lol.

MARY G said...

Interesting, both your methods and those in the comments. We are like Ed, I think. On paper and in the newspaper, getting harder through the week. But if I go away and try to pick up where I left off, it usually does not help me. I also do Wordle ... got it in three this morning ... and Scrabble daily. I am at about the same level in math and word puzzles and love doing both.
Good for the brain but bad for getting on with the necessary housework.

Jenn Jilks said...

I like word games and puzzles, more than number games. My daughter does SexagintaQuattuordle. She is a scientist, and good at STEM!