Thursday, February 02, 2023

Update and Sue's Photos

I caught Sue a bit unaware on the day before surgery when I made it clear that if things were to go belly up, so to speak, that I was not to be put on long term life support. By all means, try to resuscitate me if applicable, but don’t go overboard. We know this about each other, really, but I thought it should be confirmed. But all went well and here I am still alive and grousing grinning.

Not unexpectedly, I didn’t get much sleep last night as I was mindful of the placement of the catheter and bag. I wanted to make sure that I was draining well but also not overflowing.  We opted to use the smaller leg bag and not the bigger night bag because, other than the size, it seemed more convenient. I set the alarm to wake up every two hours, but of course I didn't need it. The bag was pretty full just one time, and it resisted being emptied. I got poor Sue up, and she managed to squeeze the contents out. The passage had been blocked by several little blood clots. The good news is that the flow became clearer after the clots passed. Then, after my last emptying at five this morning, I forgot to tighten the nozzle, and I had some leakage. I know what I did wrong, and it won’t happen again.

After those updates, what I really want to post were some fabulous winter photos that Sue got yesterday around the town after coffee at McDonalds. As always, she took a plethora of shots, but I will show a modicum of restraint.  

Going past the Rideau Canal in Smiths Falls

A house and bridge that Sue snapped from the moving car, and also the water tower in the second photo.



From a stop in a parking lot, they captured a great sky as well as the rest of the scene.


At one point they made friends with a dog named Freddy.

It was a pleasant outing for the ladies, and they were back at the hospital in plenty of time to await the call to come up and collect the patient from surgery.

25 comments:

Boud said...

I'm glad they were out enjoying the day, not sitting in a surgical waiting room worrying. Some great pictures there, too.

Marcia said...

Your snow has done a great job of coating everything.

Glad to hear surgery went well and Sue didn't have to make that decision.

Barbara Rogers said...

Wonderful snow scenes! Love them, and glad they aren't here! So glad you are doing better.

Damselfly said...

Beautiful winter photos!
Wishing you swift healing and a full recovery.

Margaret said...

I'm glad that the catheter bag is working out OK; at least it's temporary. Those photos are impressive! I love them; it almost makes me want a bunch of snow. Almost.

Celia said...

You all are surrounded by such beautiful winter scenery. Happy to hear you are home and functioning. Keep up the good work.

RedPat said...

Beautiful shots.

roentare said...

Glad that you pulled through the surgery. The snow sceneries are just outstanding!

NGS said...

I am so glad your recovery is going well!

I think it's brave to have the conversation about what you would want in the case of a medical catastrophe. It's not an easy conversation to have, so good on you and Sue for talking it out.

DrumMajor said...

Oh, Mr. AC -- Hope your wishes are in writing, by way of a Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare and coordinating Advanced Directive. Otherwise, it's very difficult to enforce wishes. Ask your doc or hospital, or local government or hospice agency for the forms.
Uh, please put the bigger night time urine bag on. That's what it's for: night time! An alarm every two hours isn't fun. More importantly, GRAVITY helps the flow at night with a bag hanging toward the floor instead of strapped to your leg horizontally in the bed. The bag hanging off the bed, also helps your innards heal and not deal with a backflow of urine trying to return from where it came. The large night bags are commonly used ALL DAY by some folks. Either way, best to make sure there's a leg strap just above your knee holding the tube in position. That strap is your reminder and safety device to keep all of the stuff from accidentally tugging on your sensitive parts! (Yep, I had 3,000 male patients a year assigned to me at the VA hospital...do you know how many had "little yellow purses?) Gotta keep that clamp closed and bent into it's holder to prevent some leaks...Follow instructions and take your meds! Your extra RN Linda in Kansas

Ed said...

Judging from the pictures, I'm guessing your wife wasn't nearly as worried about you pulling through as you were.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots!

Marie Smith said...

I hope you have a more restful night tonight, AC.

Beautiful frosty photos!

DJan said...

Great winter shots! And glad to hear the first night went relatively well, and that you are definitely on the mend!

The Furry Gnome said...

Sue got some great shots! Sorry about your catheter issues - been there, done that.

Suemn said...

Those are some beautiful photos. Your snow is nice and pristine. We get a lot of gray days around here and our snow isn't as spotless because it doesn't snow as often as where you are located. It sounds like you are doing pretty good following your surgery.

Joanne Noragon said...

That snow has covered everything and created beautiful landscapes. Great shots.

PipeTobacco said...

I am glad you appear to be recovering well from your surgery! Having enough energy to post is a good sign! Be sure to keep fluids up because even with the temporary bag a nuisance, the fluids will help flush out residual anistetics.

PipeTobacco

Blondi Blathers said...

Whew! Glad that's over. Now for the full recovery. Sounds like Sue is taking good care of you. -Kate

Karen said...

Thank you for writing frankly about your ordeal. The not knowing scares too many fellows to death. KW

Christina said...

I am glad you are recovering well but do take it easy for a few days. I read your surgery post, thanks for sharing this experience, and today's so frankly.

Patio Postcards said...

Great winter photos. Glad that no decision had to be made :)

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm glad you made it out the other side!
I recall having fun with JB's catheter bag after his surgery. It was tricky. He couldn't empty it himself and he hated being so dependent.
Good for you for having the conversation. We have done this, especially since his cancer diagnosis. We haven't done anything formal, on paper, since I know his wishes, as he does mine, and so do the kids, who would make decisions.

MARY G said...

Your reader who mentioned the Final form is correct. You need the formal piece of paper - otherwise you have to have a caretaker signature and the caretaker has to be there at the critical moment. Been there. Been there with my father's catheter after his surgery too. Night bag.
Having been a nag, off to the photos which are at the top of even Cuppa's form. Love the canal shot, the first one. Competition quality.
You two make me proud to share a countryside.

Jeanie said...

Those photos are spectacular. I love the one of the women and the dogs -- that pop of red is great. I'm so glad Sue didn't have to make hard choices!