Thursday, February 09, 2023

Fingers Crossed

It's over! The dang catheter is out as of yesterday morning. We did it off the books, so to speak, because the system was being anything but helpful.

I will refrain from a blow-by-blow report, but I am here to tell that when the doctor says that someone will make a house call on such and such a day, that it simply will not happen. It didn't happen on the first removal, and didn't happen on the second one. 

To repeat: we took matters in our own hands and had it removed, privately, yesterday. My officially scheduled appointment is for tomorrow. But "No no," it could not take place at home. I would have to drive into the city, for you see, if one is not bed-ridden and if one lives within 30 minutes of an official home care provider (I use the word, home, loosely), one must go there for they will not come to you. It doesn't matter if you are a senior wearing a catheter, you will get there dammitall.  (As for the 30 minute drive time, well, they put it into Google and out pops the answer. Apparently, with clear roads and a good tail wind, I could have made it in about 23 minutes if I had taken the highway. Baloney, says I, for I don't take the highway.)

Anyway, I was home, catheter-free, by noon yesterday. As I scurried into the house to relieve ye olde bladder after the half-hour drive, Sue was figuring out how to get the yellow recycling box down from the snowbank.

Some juvenile delinquent had tossed it up there whilst we were out attending to my woes. We have an extendable pole thingy to wash the upstairs windows, so Sue used that to pull the box down.

We decompressed here for awhile and then headed out for breakfast at lunchtime. Some of you may know that as brunch, but I, personally, had breakfast at lunchtime. lol

The Chef's Breakfast Bowl was yummy but huge.  Being smarter than I look, I didn't finish it, despite its yummyness.

Before the food came we enjoyed coffee. If I look chuffed to be out amongst the living, it is because I darn well was.

Yes, it sure did feel good to be out and acting more or less human after one heckuva week. I hadn't been in pain, and we eventually managed to cope with the catheter, but the difficulty of getting the attention and the help that we needed made it a very anxious and unsettling week.

Now, I have made it through the night without my bladder shutting down like it did after the removal of the first catheter, and I am encouraged to hope that the catheter incident is truly over. Fingers crossed.

22 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Whew, sure glad that ordeal, and it certainly was for you, is over. You did look much happier and relieves enjoying that cup of coffee. Hope all continues to go well for you, John.

Marie Smith said...

Looking good, AC. Glad you have that misery in the rear view mirror!

Boud said...

Very glad it's resolved, but I'm angry that you had to go through this. For Handsome Partner in his last years, I was able to get home care for everything, doctors, home health aids, nurses, X-Ray, dentist, eye doctor, never had to attend another location. All insurance covered except the dentist. Our primary homecare doctor is a force of nature, admittedly! I wish you had had better help.

But anyway let's hope it's over now. The recovery presented more problems than the procedure.

Marcia said...

Hooray! Relief for you!

That breakfast/brunch/lunch sounds really good.

DJan said...

You are on the home stretch now! I look forward to hearing what the professionals say about your self care. :-)

Karen said...

Whew, glad that monkey business is behind you! You look happy to be out in the world again. Aren't the snow banks something this year?

Barbara Rogers said...

Yay for you...may you enjoy the comfort off normal functioning! Thanks for telling us about that breakfast/lunch bowl. Sounds delish, and you do look much relieved.

Barbara Rogers said...

Yay for you...may you enjoy the comfort off normal functioning! Thanks for telling us about that breakfast/lunch bowl. Sounds delish, and you do look much relieved.

Patio Postcards said...

Glad that ordeal is behind you now. It is another sad & concerning signal that our health care system is broken. You do look quite satisfied being out & about :)

Ed said...

Nothing makes one feel more helpless than being at the mercy of doctor's time. More than once, I've removed my own stitches and cancelled follow up appointments. Welcome back to the catheter-less world!

RedPat said...

Hurray for you. You certainly look happy.

Granny Sue said...

Whew. I am sure you are glad this is over. Now to get back to life. Poor Sue. What a nuisance to hve to deal with someone's idea of a prank. The best to you as you continue to recover.

William Kendall said...

What a nuisance!

Tom said...

Glad it all worked out in the end (is that a pun?) And you look reasonably happy in the picture.

DrumMajor said...

Whew! What bad home care service. Be sure and let the doc know that it isn't competent or organized. Presuming you had the friend's nurse help with the removal. Deflating the balloon holding it in is VERY important. I've had patients accidentally or intentionally pull them out. Causes great pain, damage to the inside of your tube, bleeding, and that "pop" sound is heard half-way down the hall. Had one patient who wanted scissors to cut the catheter. I had to draw a photo quickly on the marker board about why that wasn't a good idea, because the patient didn't speak English. Surgical removal of the balloon and end would not be fun. Glad you got good cooperation, eh!? Linda in Kansas

Jenn Jilks said...

That is good news! I am happy for you! I am sure Sue is happier, as well!

Margaret said...

How frustrating to not be able to count on the help promised and needed but it sounds like you clever people managed! Glad it's out and you're in the land of the normal. LOVE breakfast food for any meal!

Suemn said...

I'm very glad to hear that you were able to get that catheter removed. I bet you really appreciate getting back to feeling more normal.

Vicki Lane said...

So glad you're free of the wretched device. That breakfast bowl sounds amazing.

gigi-hawaii said...

I am happy for you.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Glad you home and I also enjoy a cup of coffee.
Coffee is on and stay safe

MARY G said...

It sounds as if it is not y oiur fingers that you need to cross! Glad to hear things are improving. Wishing them to stay improved and that things go well for you both. And, yeah, home care that isn't.
Sympathies to Sue and the yellow box. I have an extending pole. It is supposed to clean chimney flues, but it works fine for lost laundry in February and all other similar woes.