Thursday, January 17, 2019

What a Sunset!

For the second consecutive evening, we had a WOW! sunset. There was no light pillar, but it was quite awesome regardless.

Once again, I had minutes to set up and snap from the bedroom window, but I was quicker off the mark this time, and I nabbed a few decent photos.

I began with a fairly wide view.



But I realized that the best action was low, so I zoomed in, always keeping the building in view for a foreground element.



You see that low patch of orange in the right corner, above? Well I thought that deserved more coverage, so I shifted the camera to the right.



But no, that wasn't far enough, so I shifted quite a bit more and got the best photo of the series in my opinion, maybe because that whitish patch is so well centered and framed.



Nothing is perfect, and the buildings don't make for the best foreground in the world although the silhouetting makes them tolerable. Unfortunately, we can also see wires. I could try to remove them, but I don't think I will bother because, despite the fabulous sky, I don't think the photo is print-worthy.

15 comments:

Marie Smith said...

My eyesight must be worse than I think because I don’t see any wires. Glorious!

Haddock said...

The last one is the best.

Marty said...

These are all beautiful to my untrained eye.
I would imagine one difficulty about trying to perfect shots like these is the quicksilver way the sky changes in a sunset. You juuust get things lined up, and it's shifted to all pink.

Mage said...

Or take that top image and do a verticle slice down the middle. That slice could have the wonderful purples in it too.

Joanne Noragon said...

So much potential.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Those darned wires can really get in the way, but I wasn't distracted looking at the beautiful colors in these photos, John.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I don't see any wires, either. The infinite variety of sunsets is more amazing to me than the variety of snowflakes, though I love those too. Every summer evening my husband walked down to the dock to see the sun set over Lake Chautauqua. I went with him often until my bad knees made this downhill/uphill trek very uncomfortable.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I see the wires but it doesn't distract from the shot. How amazing to see a sky like that !

William Kendall said...

Magnificent!

Kay said...

Oh Wow! I didn't even notice the wires with all that startling color. My cellphone keeps changing the colors when use it to take photos of the sky.

Country Gal said...

I like them all but yes my fave is the last photo . Great shots . Thanks for sharing have good weekend !

Tabor said...

That fire in the sky can surely make a winter day warmer.

ClaudiaMorningstar said...

Wow, amazing.

Vicki Lane said...

The bell tower is a perfect accent to that somewhat apocalyptic sky. Great shots. (I don't see the wires either.)

MARY G said...

Yes. You are such a perfectionist, AC. I like the second last shot equally. And removing wires is a total pain. I do it, but I am not often satisfied.