Saturday, January 19, 2019

Tulips 2

I ended the previous tulip post stating that I would like to try to capture more reflective water droplets. But I needed to get closer.

So, I used my older crop sensor camera which would get me 50% closer, but, as you shall see, that wasn't close enough.

I also ran into another problem. I couldn't see any reflections, either with my naked eye (why do we put it that way?) or on the camera's screen. At least not until I had all but given up.

This is one of the first shots. I could only see a reflection when I uploaded onto the computer: to the left of the centre stripe. You can see how tiny it is. I like the composition and colour in general, however.



I found a few more in this next photo although, once again, I could only see them onscreen.



By this point, I gave up on reflections and just took a shot that pleased me somewhat.



But then I moved the plant, and for whatever reason, I could actually then see some reflections. It was the first photo for which I could actually see them (with that naked eye again).



So, I made some progress, but have to confess they are all cropped, the last one quite heavily. This is about as close I I can get without trotting out my old and hardly used extension tubes, which I may try.

7 comments:

Mara said...

I like that last photo a lot. That one drop with the reflection seems very milky.

Shammickite said...

I like these photos a lot. No idea what an extension tube is but I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with it!

Mage said...

Have you tried either bouncing a light or lighting from the side? I do like that last one.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Nice photos. I don't know if it will work. Mini light box/jug: Clear almost see through gallon milk jug; cut opening to fit camera lens; cut off bottom; position subject inside jug and take photos with camera lens close to top. I use a light jug to take close ups of jewelry. I think it should work for water droplets. Good luck

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

These are really beautiful. I am a very basic photographer, but I do admire your skill and tenacity.

Marie Smith said...

A beautiful look at a tulip!

William Kendall said...

Beautiful macros!