Wednesday, April 11, 2018

I'm in a Stew

I'm in a Stew: turkey stew, that is.

After almost 4 months, it was time to exhume the Christmas turkey carcass from the freezer and to make a stew.

Sue, on her very own, figured out how to do this years ago when there was no Google to provide assistance. She just did it.

The procedure begins by getting the very big pot and the turkey carcass from the basement. Much water is added, and the frozen carcass is dumped in. It is brought to a boil and, along with some onion, simmers for many hours: 5 hours in this case.




The bones are removed, and then the bits are sorted into good meat and grubbier bits. (We had saved some additional turkey meat that would also later go back into the pot.)





The remaining mixture still had to be strained: keep the liquid, strain the bits.



The strained liquid is is set aside to go back into the big pot later.



And the chopping begins. We add all sorts of veggies: carrots, potatoes, broccoli, carrots, turnips, beans, and mixed veggies. We'd add cauliflower too, but the price. Oy!




Back into the big pot it all goes for several more hours.



As we near the end of the process, Danica prepares Country Harvest biscuits.



The biscuits look delish, especially with a little cheese on top.



And ... we're ready to eat. It's a good way for AC to get his veggies. Otherwise, he has a problem with veggies. (You can see that we add some tri-colour pasta too.)



We served 5 people for this dinner, but there remain many meals to go into the freezer to be ready when called upon.



It is certainly a labour intensive meal, but it makes a lot of meals, and it's nutritious too.

8 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

And here I am, number one, to say all things turkey turn my stomach. Think how beautiful that would be with an old roast first in the pot. Oh, well. Happy eating.

Mage said...

...and delicious too.

My fears are based on my rate of failing. With some things it is 100%. I have some severe learning disabilities plus worn out hands. Yesterday, the thread kept breaking. I'll ask the experts about this.

Country Gal said...

Looks YUMMY ! My mum and I would put our aprons or pinny's she called them on and would make stews out of beef, lamb,chicken and turkey carcass's all the time our big stewing pot , it was just what us farm women did more of back then , waste not want not we always said . My mum also baked and made her own jams and did pickling. Looks like a good haul Sue has there to freeze for suppers . Nothing better then home made food. Lovely photos . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day and enjoy that lovely looking turkey stew !

Christina said...

That looks good! I hope you have a big freezer. The country biscuits look a bit like cheese scones, delicious.

Marie Smith said...

It must be delicious. It looks so good! I love those meals you stew for hours. Leftovers and frozen meals are staples in our house too.

Haddock said...

The sight of those biscuits is making me hungry.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a project. I haven't done this in a number of years. One year, I wasn't top notch, my son-in-law prepared the turkey, and then prepared the pot that day for turkey soup. He's quite a cook!

Jim said...

I did the same thing with my Thanksgiving turkey, which, thanks to my sister-in-law, was already stripped of bones before going in the freezer. I made a very large pot and gave most of it to my son and his family of 6. I guess they liked it because the container came back empty.
Hats off to Sue for figuring out how to go about this. It required a few phone calls to my SIL and my gal friend to figure out how to go about it, but in the end it was delicious.
I'm catching up on your blog. Been out of commission for a while, not sick, just doing other things. Just finished novel # 51 since Jan 1. Plus have made LOTS of greeting cards, some to mail, some to sell.
Will Spring ever arrive. Snowed most of the day here today, no accumulation, just irritation!! LOL!