Thursday, July 21, 2005

Close Call

car wreckYesterday morning in Ontario a police officer ran into a moose. A moose can weigh 1000 pounds, and they say that it is like hitting a brick wall. The officer's car also went into the ditch, so I don't know how much damage was done by the moose and how much was done by the ditch, but the results are the same: Andrew Potts was killed in the encounter, and I offer my condolences.


Five years ago, we were driving in Banff one evening in a light rain. I noticed cars pulled off to the side of the road. I was soon to learn that was a sign that an animal had been spotted and that people were pulling over to gawk. But I didn't know it at the time.


I kept going, exceeding the speed limit slightly, and a huge moose appeared in front of me. What prompted that moose to dart back out of my path, I'll never know, for I don't think I would have been able to swerve far enough in time, for I would have had to swerve into oncoming traffic. Even if I had been able to swerve far enough quickly enough, it would have been just as likely that the moose would have moved in the same direction as I rather than in the opposite one.


Let me tell you, that he stood huge before us in our little Corolla. It was a close call: too close for comfort. There but for the grace of God ...


 

4 comments:

Cuppa said...

Oh, I can still see that Moose appearing out of the mist in front of us that night. I am sure we left a coat of paint from the old Corolla on his hind end as we brushed past him that night.

Much too close for comfort!!!!!!

Christi said...

We have deer to deal with here, and they can do some pretty bad damage. I couldn't imagine hitting a moose!

karla said...

I remember reading about that story and your too close for comfort encounter with a moose. Even as a mere reader I was worked up trying to image how frightening that would be.

Condolences and sympathy for the family and friends of Mr. Potts as well.

swamp4me said...

We saw lots of "Watch out for Moose" signs when we were in New England last year. Knowing how much damage a 140 pound deer can do, I don't even want to contemplate what a 1000 pounds of moose would do.
I had a friend once who ran into a cow -- I imagine that was somewhat comparable.