Thursday, October 03, 2024

Accessibility Permit Gives Rise to Thoughts

My Accessible Parking Permit came in the mail last week. It looks like that one over there → →
but filled in, of course. 

I've had one for a few years now, but I have had to renew yearly. This one, however, is valid for five years until September 2029. At this stage of life, I pause to wonder if this body will be good until then. Will it be the permit or the permittee that expires first?

I am not being morbid, but it is possible that I will expire before the permit does. I will be 82 if I last that long, so one does wonder. Dad lived to be 86 and mom 87, but they were leaner and arguably healthier than I, so I don't suppose that I am going to live an extremely long life.

In a sense I don't need the permit. Although I use a cane, I can walk without it. Regardless, I won't take my cane into a grocery store because I would just put it in the cart, forget it, and drive home. At some point I would realize that I had left it behind, and I would have to drive back, and walk back into the store sans cane to retrieve it. 

Ask me how I know that would happen. 

Because it has happened.

One doesn't have to be completely bodily-wrecked to use a permit. It just allows one who struggles a little, to get closer to the door.

I did recently think to myself, "I can park farther away and leave the spot for those who are more needy." So I did just that and quickly thereafter went back to using the allocated, accessible space. I found that  it is one thing to amble around a grocery store pushing a cart and stopping a lot but quite another thing to march on a direct line through the parking lot to the door. It seems odd, but it is true.

One cannot get a permit without a doctor's endorsement, and I passed, or I guess failed would be more accurate. The point is that I am medically legit, even though I sometimes think that I should just leave the space to others who are worse off.

Anyway, my main point is that I now have accessibility access for five years, and I do wonder what I will be like then or even if I will still be alive. I've put it on my online calendar to be reminded to renew a few months before it expires. It will probably surprise me greatly when the reminder pops up, or perhaps surprise someone who has access to my email. I have advised Sue to keep my email account open for some time  after I pass because business-related things do come along, and it will take some time for her to make the necessary transitions.

===================

I wrote the foregoing almost a week ago, but I had other things to post and let it sit in draft mode until today. What I want to add is that I did take my cane into the store on the weekend. We had had to park some distance away, so I brought my cane along. Inside the store, I put it in the cart. Of course, you already know that I left it behind. In this instance, however, I realized my blunder as soon as we exited the store, so it was easy to correct my faux pas. I have had to correct many a faux pas in my life, so I didn't mind adding one more to the lengthy list.

9 comments:

Boud said...

Maybe you need a cane with a built in alarm system to sound after it's been sitting a few minutes! All we need, another scary sound.

Ed said...

Being able bodied thus far, I don't begrudge those with similar permits. However, I have been known to ponder if someone is cheating others when they pull into such a spot, then and only then pull their permit out of a glovebox and display it for all to see, and then spryly jump out of the car and walk into the store. I never suspect those that always have their tag displayed even if they are young and appear spry.

I don't know about Canada, but there is a healthy black market for handicap tags to purchase.

Vicki Lane said...

I hear you. I use a long stick (collapsible hiking pole) when I walk outside. At the grocery store I always park near the cart corral so I can grab a cart and leave the stick i the car. Oh, the joys of old age. I too wonder, how long I have--but I don't worry about it.

Barbara Rogers said...

Length of our stay on earth has certainly been in my thoughts for, mmm, years maybe. But then I just have to decide to carry on because it's sort of out of my control. However I do have a great denial system to keep from making some final documents. Put that off and it won't happen. Hey it's worked for years! However on handicap slots for cars, I do take advantage of using mine, which I found out expires and needs to be renewed but without a doc's letter. And I have breathing problems, an invisible disability...so I must look like I'm just fine. Sorry guys, I'm panting by the time I get to my cart in the store, and loving the airconditioning to help my breathing.

Sandra said...

If Mark didn't chauffeur me around I would need one. I fully understand the difficulty of getting from the parking lot to the store. At least you know what you will do in advance, even though that doesn't stop you from doing it anyway.

Christina said...

Surely you are going to outlive your current permit! You absolutely should use it, it is not issued without reason and it makes life easier. Even getting in an out of cars can be challenging in a normal bay, when cars are closely spaced. I know because my brother is disabled and unable to exit the car unless the door is fully open. You could attach a wee bell to your cane...

Margaret said...

I wish my mom would get one of those. She certainly qualifies. Your cane issue is why I rarely carry an umbrella. I've lost so many of them!

Margaret said...

I don't know about Iowa, but in WA, you aren't supposed to hang the tag until you're parked. It can impede visibility for the driver. I know there are many hidden disabilities but there are also those who milk the system. No way to really tell.

Granny Sue said...

I just messaged my doctor today about getting a temporary one while I wait for my knee to heal. I say use it ! You obviously qualify. As for longevity, you may surprise yourself. I think that once we I pass 50 or 60 we begin contemplating our time left on earth. I just assume I will live t o be at least 90!