Thursday, October 10, 2024

A Ridiculous Night

5:00

I’ve had my breakfast and I am currently brewing my second cup of coffee after catching up with the News on the computer,

Sue popped her head in awhile ago to ask what in tarnation is going on.

She was aware of my having been in bed, and out of bed, and back in bed, and back out and making toast at midnight, and there I was, up again and sitting at the computer at 4:00 with the lights on.

Such is life. I was given a new sleeping pill, and, to put it mildly, it has disappointed.

On the first night, it helped me get 6 hours of sleep. That was nothing to write home about or blog about, so I didn’t. I mean, I do sometimes get 6 hours anyway.

Last night, however, I gave it up as a lost cause at 3:50. Not to worry, I might have had two grand hours of sleep, so I should be good for . . .  for maybe as long as it takes to finish wiring the ode to pain. Okay, not an ode, and most certainly not an ode to joy.

I was not only restless but also in pain or at least in enough discomfort that I decided that it was prudent to get up since the aches and pains were keeping me awake anyway.

About this new pill: it turns out to not be the hoped-for magic potion. I really thought that it might be just what the doctor ordered. Well, she did order it, actually, and I was hopeful.

You see, it, supposedly, so strong that I had to promise not to drive for 12 hours after taking it.

So, if I want to drive say at 7:00 in the morning, I must take it by 7 at night. But one doesn’t want to sleep at 7, so one takes it and stays up. And then it doesn’t seem to be working at 10 or 11. Go figure.

Today, I wanted to be driving by shortly after 9am, so I took the pill at 9pm. I then stayed up for two more hours before endeavouring, rather fruitlessly, to go to sleep. I mean, really, if the effects endure for twelve hours, surely I could stay up for two of those measly hours!

Surely not, as it eventuated.

Needless to say, I am going to give up on the new, lousy  pill and go back to the old, lousy pill. At the very least, I can take it a half hour before bed and just get up and go in the morning.

"AC, you should give up on pills entirely," you say.

But I say, "If I could I would." 

I was put on them for a reason and not because I was desirous of wrecking my life with a habit-forming drug.

Last time I inadvertently did that – not take my pill – I didn't sleep a wink all night. I am not exaggerating. 

What happened that night was I thought that I had taken it, but then after hours of fitfulness, I felt like I hadn't. So, I got up to check the container, and that day was empty. So I thought that I must have taken it.

I must tell you that as I roamed all night I continued to feel so awake that I was feeling that surely I must have forgotten to take it, but of course, every time I checked the container was still empty.

The next night at bedtime, I discovered that I had been checking the wrong day all the previous night. What a sap am I! It is a terrible thing to lose one's mind.

So you see, in my case, the sleeping pill is a necessity and not a placebo, for I had thought that I had taken it, and I still didn’t sleep at all. Crazy, eh?

So yeah, no more of the 12 hour pill for me. Back to the old one. It will generally give me close to five hours and sometimes six and on very very very very rare nights, seven.

It’s 5:23 now. I have typed this on the tablet. Of course, it’s a mess, so I will keep it in draft mode until I sit at the computer end edit.

Now to finish that coffee.

It's 6:40, and I've showered and tried to make the above as coherent as possible, but I do request that retired English teachers put their red pens away.

3 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

John I am sad to read that you are still having such difficulty with sleep, even with medication. They keep telling us (they being the medical profession) how vital sleep is, for brain function & all. Maybe another call to the doctor to explain what's not working, she sounds like she at least listens to you.

Boud said...

This sounds so miserable. I wish the doctors could help you resolve the sleep issue. Clearly this latest pill wasn't a good fit.

DJan said...

Sleep is really important for my sanity. I can only hope you can find some way to get at least six hours every night, AC