Sunday, June 30, 2024

Lauraless


When I was young, and my teacher told us not to rest on our laurels, I didn't know what, precisely, she meant. 

"What the heck are my laurels? Is that what my buns are called? I've never heard them called that!"

I never asked though because, apparently, I was supposed to know. I don't suppose that many in my grade 7 class, 1959, knew. But nobody else asked either. and we were about 4 or 5 decades short of carrying smart phones in our pockets.

If I had known the meaning, I still wouldn't have been able to rest because I hadn't yet collected any laurels. Still not sure that I have. Perhaps I could borrow yours, as in the picture?

14 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Laurels are prickly crackly things, unpleasant to rest on. Give me a fluffy pillow.

Barbara Rogers said...

Those Romans weren't all that smart, having marble couches on which to lie while eating, even! Do you think they had pillows? I like Vicki's idea best.

Sandra said...

I never gave it a thought what they are. I just knew not to rest on them!

Cloudia said...

Cool post thanks
Aloha

Cloudia said...

Interesting gambit AC Aloha

Liz Hinds said...

Sorry, I don't have any either.

Margaret said...

My accomplishments are few and far between. Nothing to rest upon.

Jeanie said...

No laurels here, physical or metaphorical!

roentare said...

I haven't come across the phrase but maybe one's trash could be another's treasure

Joanne Noragon said...

Really confused by your title. It says Laura-less. Unless that is the singular for laurels, I wondered why you lost a woman. Or girl. Or child.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Odd phrase to say to a 13 year old. Maybe at the time it was a common phrase, but you'd think she'd have been able to come up with something more relatable.

Patio Postcards said...

Funny cartoon. I would disagree that you haven't had success in your life. You & your wife raised two wonderful humans to be contributors to the world, you & your wife both had successful jobs/careers, you continue to contribute to making the world a wonderful place ... off the soap box now (col). Happy Canada Day.

Ed said...

We evidently had the same teacher.

Anvilcloud said...

@Joanne: I understand. That's just how I decided to write it rather than correctly.