Tuesday, April 01, 2008

An Ending

Last summer Cuppa and I made our first trip out to BC and blogged a lot about it. Fear not: I am not about to reprise the trip, but I would like to make mention of a certain wonderful tree in wonderful Stanley Park. This hollow tree has been a great attraction in a great park for many decades, and this is Cuppa inside it.

Day 6

It is 700 years old, but, as the next photo shows, it has been hollowed out for quite some time now and has been visited and photographed by locals and tourists for decades.



Sadly though, last night Vancouver City Council voted to have it cut down because it had become a danger, or so they believed. It had been supported by cables, but they still deemed the danger too great.

Although its remains will continue to be displayed as an attraction, I'm rather glad that we got to visit the old thing while it remained standing.

Day 6

Great wasn't it?

12 comments:

PBS said...

Such beautiful photos of a wonderful tree! And it's so big!

ChrisB said...

What an amazing tree. it's always sad to loose a little bit of history.

BTW I liked Cuppa's latest photos even though I didn't leave a comment to say so. My family also like to cosy up to watch TV!

Kila said...

Cut down?!

How?!

I'm glad you shared it with us!

mreddie said...

I'm with kila, how would they cut that one down and/or how would they crank a chain saw that big? Great photos! ec

JunieRose2005 said...

Oh! Great pictures! I'd love to see that place someday!


Junie

megz_mum said...

What a lovely tree/stump! Shame it is going to be no more. Thanks for the link to the newspaper story, interesting reading the local comments!

Anonymous said...

I hope my brother and his girlfriend don't find out or they will be over there to chain themselves to it!
They are a couple of tree huggers.
I have a huge (HUGE) cherry tree in my garden that dwarfs its surroundings and blocks out the sun... I often say it would make a nice picnic table but those two made their position very clear!
The tree is still there! :o)
So glad you got some nice pictures and memories!

Donna said...

Beautiful tree...how sad that they think it needs to be cut down...hughugs

Janet said...

It is very sad to think that it lasted this long and no longer. We were able to visit Cathedral Forest (I think that's the right name) on Vancouver Island and there were trees similar but not as big. There are no trees of that size here anymore, as Americans are only too willing to hack down anything that happens to be where they want to build something.

Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I am losing a tree that is two that grew together and are now separating from aga and weathering.

I was sad to see another going but I am glad so many have enjoyed it.

Thank you for sharing, Anvil!

Hugs!

Ginnie said...

I love the old black and white photo and then the comparison with yours. It's a shame that it needs to be cut down but at least they are acknowledging that it will be kept as an attraction.

KGMom said...

A tree like that should somehow be saved. But how. Cloned? Any offspring?