Thursday, February 26, 2009

We Have Today



Cuppa is back! Because SILlee has been away on a course, she's spent the last three nights over at Thesha's. There are two babies after all, one less than a month old, so she kindly offered her services. Mom could tend to the younger in the middle of the night, while Grandma could take charge of the older if the need were to arise.

For whatever reason, the older one often awakes for a period at night. While it's often just for a few moments, it can get longer, much longer. Thankfully, that didn't happen during Cuppa's watch as just the short awakenings occurred.

But you know what? Even though we were together during the day, I still missed the old girl. One gets used to having another body around the house, and while I can quite get into a certain amount of solitude, I also find that a little goes a long way.

We're kind of joined at the hip, the two of us, but as senior citizenship begins to approach, one can't help but ponder the future at times. When we discuss it, neither of us can quite imagine being on our own without the other, and neither can quite imagine hooking up with someone else.

It will happen, of course; inevitably, one will depart this form before the other. The remaining one will adapt because that is what one has to do; there is no viable choice.

Meanwhile, it's good to have The Cuppa back home. And I rather think that we're both going to be around for a good while yet. If not, we have today.

12 comments:

Jinksy said...

That's a very sweet post. My mum and Dad were much the same, but I guess I've always been a loner, even while I was married, so solitude came as no great surprise. I've been far lonlier in a crowd, than on my own...guess the creative side of me is always my companion. Enjoy your togetherness, and don't worry about being alone - it's not necessarily lonely!

ChrisB said...

I'm sure you have a long time before you need to ponder this further.I know what you mean about solitude. I've always contented myself with my own company and actually enjoyed it. However in recent months it has become less appealing. I'm afraid embee is not one who enjoys idle chit chat like me, he prefers to channel hop the TV.

Heather Plett said...

It's nice to still enjoy each other's company so much.

Janet said...

My grandparents were married for almost 72 years. Grandmother is still kicking around at almost 96, but she still misses Granddaddy. It's a hard hard thing. It's too bad that everyone can't go together like Baucis and Philemon.

Donna said...

Since the first day I met Hubby, I've Always sensed I'd be the first to go...We talk about it every once in a while...usually with Me leaving Him instructions...like:

Don't re-marry Anyone younger than 50...Younger then that? They come with a pen in their hand ready to clean out your checking account...

No BIG decisions on Anything for at least 1 year...

No hookers...

Keep the dog out of the bed...

Do Not throw anything RED in with the whites while doing laundry...

Yes, you have to GO to the grocery, No, they don't deliver...

HAHAHahaha....the list can get Really long...then we just look at each other and smile...we just Know. It all works out in the end...SO, Don't worry...Be Happy!!hughugs

Amanda said...

Cuppa has been a great help to your daughter over this past week ~ but as you say it will be good to have her back. The home can get all too quiet when you are on your own!

Garnetrose said...

I love solitude but sometimes you can have way too much of it then you really do want to hear that other voice. *s*

Ruth said...

I hope you continue to enjoy each day you have together. I see that men are lonelier without a woman than women are without a man, at least most of the time.

Woman in a Window said...

If not, we have today. I love this. So sweet.

Have you ever heard Ben's Fold Five's The Luckiest? Something tells me you would appreciate it.

Pearl said...

Nice to see people who enjoy each other.

Linda said...

I find the same thing is happening to my husband and I as our children are leaving home. It's a good feeling.

Anonymous said...

I am blessed to be in a similar relationship and it only gets more precious as time passes. I guess all we can really do is to embrace today. We are the lucky ones.