Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Flown from the Nest

Today, Danica wakes up differently than ever before. Yesterday, she moved into what will be her residence for the school year: a room in a house in Ottawa, shared with three other girls women.

You may recall that she commuted to Carlton U for her freshman year. You may also recall that her car got totalled near the very end on last semester when exams were almost finished. Since there will be no possibility of commuting this year, she will be staying in the city, just a bus ride from campus. I think, however, that she would probably have made the move regardless of the car situation, for it seems to be a natural progression.

The semester won't begin for another two weeks, but she has landed a part-time job at the university store where students may purchase books and other paraphernalia. Today is a training day, but she doesn't yet know the rest of her schedule.

She'll be up early, going outside to the bus stop, and travelling to campus. I am not sure if she has been on city bus before, but she will manage because she is a grown woman.

On Sunday, we stopped by to give her this last-minute card because Sue thought of her own experience of standing at bus stops in the rain in Toronto at that age.

A last-minute creation with an AI-generated character.

I forget what else she was given, but I know that we gave her a whistle to blow if she ever felt threatened when walking to or waiting at the bus stop.


I took pictures of both Dani and the cat, but the cat photos can come later. I really like these two candid shots. She's a real gem.



Depending on her work schedule, I think she'll be back and forth between here and there until the 9th when classes begin. At some point, we hope to visit her and see her domicile and also tour campus and her book and merch shop. We haven't seen the campus yet although we have driven by in the more distant past. We'll depend on Shauna to get us there and back when circumstances permit.

Jonathan got a picture of Danica saying goodbye last night from her new front door. But I'm okay. Really, I am. 










22 comments:

  1. My eldest started her third year in college yesterday. She has yet to buy a single book her entire time there. Everything is online these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I guess you can underline and hilite with the right software.

      Delete
    2. I am blown away by the notes my daughter has shown me. Not only does it highlight, but it hyperlinks to the appropriate pages!

      Delete
  2. So young and beautiful. This will be another milestone crossed for both you and Dani.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milestone came to mind, too like Sandra's comment. We have a ways to go before our first grandchild heads to college. She's just entering 7th grade tomorrow. What is Danica majoring in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has an interest in Law, but I am not sure that she will take it to Law level.

      Delete
  4. Danica is beautiful. I wish her all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your family is just extended further miles. With phones to text and call, you all can stay in touch more easily these days...though of course being on her own will be a wonderful adventure for Danica! Grandpa will cope - he's done it before I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes she can do it! She's got her whole family behind her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exciting times for the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, that's really a special time in a young lady's life, for her parents and also her grandparents. Loved the photos and I wish you and Sue many happy visits to see her at campus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminds me of when my daughter moved to Montreal (from Alberta!) to complete her undergrad and then do her Masters. So, so far from home. Sigh.
    But similar to my daughter, I'm excited for your granddaughter. And for you, because even though there's more physical distance, and understandably, a bit of grief, this relationship seems just as important to her as it is to you and Sue. The future looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy! Does this bring back memories of when we sent our boys off to university. I don’t think I handled nearly as well, however. There were a few tears shed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Her new adventure truly begins. She is so pretty. My mom always made sure we had whistles with us too. Nice that she has a job already. Thanks for the update on this very lovely young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When my son drove off to college, two hours away, he always called my youngest about a half hour out to find out if I was still crying. It is such a jolt, but somehow, it becomes normal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are making this transition a fun time. I wish the young woman a very successful year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful and touching post! Progression into new stages is normal, but it does hurt our heart sometimes. The best to Danica on this new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Make sure she gets an umbrella. My first college umbrella has lasted 54 years! You're supposed to send boxes of cookies in the mail monthly. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's hard to see them grow and go, but it's the natural course of events. The relationship changes subtly. I hope Danica has a wonderful year, and good friends in her housemates.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, it is hard letting them go. You have been blessed to have had them near, and to be a big part of their lives. I feel sure that will continue, no matter where they land.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a big deal that is! And I loved the umbrella and whistle gifts. Just perfect. A new chapter for Danica and I hope it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is so exciting, and a paradigm shift for me.

    ReplyDelete