Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Back in the Saddle Again

I am not sure when we last got the bikes out, but I know we didn't bike at all last year and possibly not the preceding year either. My last cycling endeavour pulled a muscle in my leg, I think from going up an incline too rapidly. We've been out twice now, keeping to smooth roads for the most part while pedaling gently and avoiding inclines as much as we can.

On day 2, I recorded our route and mileage. It's not impressive, but it still felt good.



We've been riding with the cute neighbourhood boy whom we keep between us: me in the lead and Sue keeping watch at the back. So far, it is good to have him with us because kid-sized bikes can’t go as fast as big bikes although we wouldn’t be booting it anyway at this point in our lives. 

We have our phones mounted, and Sue managed some photos to take some photos.


Here's a larger version of one of the above pictures as we cycled through the neighbourhood park. 


It feels good to get back in the saddle again. In my early days of blogging I wrote about our rides periodically if not frequently. We enjoyed riding pretty fair distances. It's different now, of course, but it is still a pleasant activity. As we approach our 80s (we are both 79 or will be very shortly), we feel secure in our balance and hope that our bodies allow us to continue this activity in its present, reduced form.





3 comments:

  1. Now that is awesome! Bicycling keeps your legs strong along with balance, so important!

    Also, it is a great way to just get out!

    Cute that you are riding with a young one.👌

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun...and excellent to have a youngster along to give pace as well as new eyes' seeing what you have to share. Love these photos from the handlebars! And I'm quite impressed with your mobility. You don't need a cane to peddle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy biking but John and I haven't done so at all this summer! It's great that Sue and you can ride with confidence since biking is low stress on the legs and body, although not the rear end. :) Did the kid and you coordinate your outfits?

    ReplyDelete