It's Caturday, and though I have photos of Sabine from a recent visit, I am going to post about Forrest and Dickie's Cause 4 Paws -kitten rescue, which is a local fb page that you can find here.
Shelly Dickie is a local lady who does her own kitten rescue, but she helps older cats as well if the need arises. This is what she posted about the kitten, Forrest.
Just brought Forrest home and getting him settled.Shelly does so much for the cats and never refuses them. She raises funds through online auctions and many readers support generously. From time to time, we make a modest donation. We did so for Forrest.
This poor kitten has been through a lot of stress and pain. He was found literally in the middle of nowhere , deep in Limerick forrest.
His hind leg was broken aprox a month ago and he’s endured this pain and suffering on his own.
He has severe ear mites, and a neck wound where a cuterebra was located , along with being skin and bones from starvation and upper respiratory infections.
How long was he in the Forest? How did he get there? Would someone be so cruel as to dump him where there was hardly a chance of being found ?
I’m so thankful he was found and brought to us. He is such a dear kitten of aprox 10 weeks old .
He’s safe now . And I’ll cuddle him as long as he needs to feel safe .
Thank you to all who donated to his vet care .
This was a follow-up post.
Forrest is such a good boy. After lots of cuddles yesterday he settled down for a long nap.
His ear mites are being treated, he’s on antibiotics for his neck wound and upper respiratory infection.
His hind leg break was from a month or more ago and has since healed in a crooked position . But we are hopeful as he grows it will straighten out a bit more . He can use it and isn’t in any pain anymore .
I hope he recovers quickly and finds a wonderful loving home .
He deserves to be spoilt .
Thank you all who donate to save kitties like Forrest
Forrest
Ramsay almost died of starvation and infection. He is an orange male kitten of 6 months of age. Showed up in a ladies back yard begging for help.Shelly does so much. If she helps older cats that cannot become pets, she practices TNR: Trap, Neuter and Release. But she doesn't abandon them. She has a farmer or two that provide for cats in barns, and Shelly supplies the cat food. Occasionally, she calls for help when the food runs out. Some people help a lot. We have helped a little.
We almost lost him but our vets worked hard and here he is, eating on his own and slowly recovering.
He is fiv/Fel negative but has upper respiratory infection . I’m thankful he is a fighter and wants to live.
He will be staying in clinic until he’s strong enough to neuter and then he will go to his foster home.
Apollo had a set back with some diarrhea and vomit . He also has a urinary Tracy infection.
He came back to stay at the clinic to receive the help he needs. It’s easier to give him medication while at the clinic than in a Foster’s room.
He too is on the mend and should be going to his foster home next week.
I’m grateful for Almonte Veterinary Services for taking such good care of our rescue cats and kittens. Without them I could not save lives.
I’m grateful for fosters willing to give scared cats a chance .
I’m grateful to all of you who follow, comment and donate to help save lives. Without all of you there would be no rescue.
Thank you
However, this is primarily a kitten rescue, and she takes them into her home and adopts them out to those who meet her rigorous standards. Cricket and Calamity are bonded and are just about ready to go. Hopefully, they will be adopted soon as a pair.
Down here we have a pet problem. There are so many that shelters like the one you wrote about are swamped. Many have resorted to euthanasia to make way for the incoming. And this is out here in rural America. I can't imagine what it is like in large urban centers. Sounds like you might be starting to get to the same point on the north side of the border.
ReplyDeleteThe solution is spaying and neutering. Here. The problem was so big an overwhelming that it really was heartbreaking. The vets in town wanted hundreds of dollars to neuter a cat. One vet wanted $700. We could not pay that for a feral cat who had provided nearly everyone on the street with a kitten. The vet then explained that it was my fault for feeding her! That answer shocked me, coming from a vet of all people! Our local humane society was poorly run by a woman who would rather have a cat euthanized then adopted (refusing to give a cat to a woman because she worked is an example), new management arranged for a mobile vet crew to come in and do low cost pet neutering. For $80, you could have your pet vaccinated and neutered. We were taking two cats in every month to be neutered, but one local hero was taking in as many cats as she could trap...once 23. Paid for them out of her own pocket. Bless those quiet people who see a need and then simply go off to take care of it. Your lady is one of them.
ReplyDeleteWhat an awful vet! I know that you do what you can, and I appreciate it greatly. The mobile service is a most wonderful thing.
DeleteIt is certainly a huge need, all the feral cats out there and those who are hurt. Glad that you posted about this kind and competent person. My friend used to foster litters of tiny kittens, which was quite a chore, but she loved doing it. Personally I found my limitation when they get sick and need lots of medical attention. It wears me down physically and psychically.
ReplyDeleteI follow the lady who was the foster home for Hannah and her group. It is simply amazing the amount of animals that are no longer wanted or cared for.
ReplyDeleteThere are many cat rescues in our area too and it is insane as to how many cats are on the street or in the wild.
One of the things to think about is the cost of vet care these days. I've heard stories regarding Pet Care/Food vs. Gas, Groceries, Medicine, Health Care choices.
It is wicked out there and I don't know of any solution right now.
However, on a positive note, thank you for the wonderful post about these cats that have been saved and are being cared for.
What an amazing woman. I know she receives so much love for this but wow -- that's a commitment.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful person she is. Thanks for this post.
ReplyDeleteShe is a strong, kind person. I know she would save them all if she could.
ReplyDeleteA wonderful woman, her heart is big. Oh, Forrest is a handsome young boy.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy to read about this lovely woman. Sadly, vet fees are the reason I could not replace my cats when they finally went. I simply don't have enough income for them and me.
ReplyDelete