There is so much that could be said about the collapse of the tariff talks between Canada and the USA, and I cannot say it well. Looking for something fairly brief, this post by Annie Justice Primeau on Facebook seems to do the trick. https://www.facebook.com/share/p/1Ga1oPsxV9/
I know Grump hasn't been saying much about the abrupt ending of the trade negotiations with Canada last night so in case some of my American followers are curious as to why Canada is fuming over Grump and his ilk, let me catch you up to speed....
Grump didn’t just demand veto power over Canada’s trade partners, he practically tried to downgrade us from a sovereign nation to a franchise he could manage from his recliner.
He wanted to hand‑pick which countries we were allowed to trade with, then went a step further and suggested we toss out our bilingual identity like it was an optional accessory instead of a constitutional pillar. He even said that our immigration policies should “align” with his preferences.
He tried to turn the entire country into his personal doormat. He behaved as though Canada’s sovereignty was a negotiable coupon he could redeem whenever he felt cranky, pushing demands that ignored our Constitution, our institutions, and our identity.
Of course Canada takes a hit with these new 50% tariffs, but Americans get the bruise and the bill. Tariffs are a two‑way punch: Canada loses export revenue and faces supply‑chain headaches, while Americans get slapped with higher prices, pricier manufacturing inputs, and retaliation that hits their own industries. It’s mutual damage, but the U.S. ends up paying for the privilege of hurting itself.
Even when economists, manufacturers, and farmers warn him the policy is damaging, he ignores them. The crazy part is that the damage is very visible yet he keeps swinging the same hammer because it fits the political storyline he wants to sell.
Canada will adapt and come out on top when this is all over. Our country is resilient and united but I cannot say the same about the USA.
.
Very enlightening. There was quite a bit written there that I hadn't seen in our media's coverage of the tariff talks. Not even The Contrarian has written anything about asking Canada to give up it's bilingual identity or embrace tRump's immigration prejudices. Thank you for sharing this, AC. I hope things will be different after our next election.
ReplyDeleteSo Mach chaos down there that little is said about something so major and not just for us.
DeleteWell said Annie Justice Primeau. I'm guessing the orange one has NO clear understanding of how tariffs actually work, along with his no understanding of just about everything else. The country below you is very much the UN-united States right now.
ReplyDeleteThe tariffs are making him and his rich friends, richer. It's a siphon from all of us to them, I'm so disgusted!
ReplyDeleteIt's good to do whatever we can to ensure that Americans get the full picture. Thanks for posting this, John. -Kate
ReplyDeleteI do love Carney's way with words, but the orange dumpster's lies get more media coverage. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't believe it when I read the list of the US demands. I was embarrassed and angry that this administration (to some extent) represents me.
ReplyDeleteI have so much respect for Mark Carney. As for my country we are all sooooo f&*(
ReplyDeleteThere are two forces in the US now, the people and the crazy GOP/clown in chief government. Fortunately there are alternative sources of information which most people soon figure out to avoid the BS being fed by the rich autocrats. The rest of the population is NOT buying into it. We are so angry that our international relations all over the world are being hurt by the orange clown. It will take quite an effort once we get a saner leadership happening to heal these wounds. In the meantime, yes, consumer goods are definitely hurting, as are groceries.
ReplyDeleteIt will take a long time after Grumpy is gone to reset, I hope. He is dividing us over and over and taking down our country in the eyes of the world.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this.
I kinda wish we'd moved to Canada back when we were young. The fat embarrassment currently in the White House is unbelievable. I long for the day when he and his ilk are gone and the word of the USA once again means something.
ReplyDeleteHe’s an embarrassing disaster.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing this! And a huge thank you to my beloved American neighbours for your support! I really appreciate you all so much! I am a senior lady who was born here in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and have lived here all my life.
ReplyDeleteI am going to be very honest here: every single time a country stands up to him, I cheer. The simple fact of it is that when his bs begins to affect his base, then and only then will things change. I believe it is.
ReplyDeleteTrump will never be appeased. No matter what is ceded, he will demand more. Be proud of your leaders, Canada!
You're right, our media isn't reporting the real reasons the talks fell apart and 47's bizarre demands. We're glad Canada is standing up to him. Could Canada please invade the U.S. and save the sane citizens left here? Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteHere in the US I've seen some reporting on Trump's insane demands, but not enough. I suspect more will come out over time. Obviously no independent country could entertain such insulting nonsense, and equally obviously Trump knows nothing about Canada or how things work there.
ReplyDeleteIt has been absolutely maddening to watch Trump trashing our relationship with one of our closest allies and a country we always got along so well with. I think pretty much all Americans feel that way except for Trump's most blinded devotees, and their numbers have been shrinking lately.
This will pass. Trump won't be president forever (I doubt he will live to the end of his current term) and later presidents will work to restore the relationship, as difficult as that may be.
I love Carney. And you know I'm Team Canada all the way. Our Idiot in Chief is truly insane in some weird way. Well, I'm planning on another trip to Stratford this fall to see more theatre and do Christmas shopping. Doing what I can!
ReplyDeleteWe have to turn the news off after getting info on the next saga in the whole mess.
ReplyDeleteI truly think that the saddest thing is those in the US who have sunk costs and feel that they have to go down with Donnie.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting John, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete