Monday, December 10, 2018

Sue's Prize

Almost two years ago, I posted the following photo and more in this post, The Amazing Sue and the Amazing Afghan.




It was a complicated and involved piece, so I had Sue do a guest blog explaining the process: The Afghan Explained.


If you weren't here then and/or are interested in this sort of work, you are invited to go back to those two links above, particularly the second and read all about it.

That afghan was given to Shauna, but the next year (last winter), Sue decided to crochet another. I meant to post about it at the time but never got around to it. Sue thought that it would make an enjoyable winter project, and it did. Besides, it would be nice for her to have one too. I think a second reason is that possibly someday both grand children could have one.

But come this year, Sue decided to give hers away — to the cat lady.

There is a lady in town who functions as her own personal humane society and rescues all sorts of cats. She has them vetted, inoculated and neutered. The cats who are not suitable to be homed are placed in well tended rural barns and still cared for. But most cats are able to be passed on to forever homes.

Of course, this is at great cost and this year the vet bills came to $65 000.

So, she fundraises. For example, next weekend, she will run a seasonal bake sale in the local high school. But she has also just had her Christmas auction. I donated a framed photo which brought in just a little money. Our friend donated some cartoonish cat paintings, which people loved. They did very well at the auction.

But I guess you know where this is headed. Yes, Sue donated the afghan that she made last year. The cat lady held a raffle and sold 100 tickets for $10 apiece. There were four other prizes to be one, but everyone coveted Sue's afghan, and, unsurprisingly, it was the prize that was claimed by the winner.

Sue's work resulted in the bulk of cat lady raising $1000 for her wonderful work. I think both of these ladies are fantastic.

Meanwhile, Sue is working diligently on the third iteration of the amazing peppermint afghan, and I wonder about its destiny.


21 comments:

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

The afghan is GORGEOUS. How did you snare such a talented and thoughtful mate AC ? … you must have a lot of those features too. Bless you both.

Marie Smith said...

What a great effort by the cat lady and Sue. Well done. The afghan is spectacular.

Tabor said...

Love creative ways to donate and help others at this time of year.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

How beautiful this afghan is! And how generous of Sue to donate them. (It's a lot of work, I think.)

So glad so much money was raised for the Cat Lady.

Silver in AZ said...


Sue is extremely thoughtful!

Joanne Noragon said...

Those pinwheels are complex and complicated and Sue is a wonderwoman, as well as an empathy woman. Hugs to her. xxoo

William Kendall said...

A lovely afghan, and very worthy efforts by the cat lady!

Christina said...

It is truly amazing! I don't think I'd be able to part with it if it was mine..... so well done Sue for donating it. Raising $1000 is just fantastic.

Doris Potter said...

The afghan is beautiful and so striking! How kind of Sue to donate her second one for such a good cause.

Jenny Woolf said...

I'd have bought a ticket too. It's really wonderful! And I bet the nice cat lady was thrilled to raise so much.

Shammickite said...

Well done, raising so much money for such a worthy cause. I can't believe the cost of vets bills.... $65,000 really? How many cats?

Hena Tayeb said...

That is a gorgeous afghan and how wonderful that she decided it to donate it to the auction... Raising $1000 is amazing!

http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

Jim said...

Beautiful work, Sue. And such a thoughtful donation for a worthy cause. I love to crochet!!

Vicki Lane said...

What a nice story! Well done, Sue!

MARY G said...

Sue is a great person! Not to mention that the afghan is hugely difficult.

Mage said...

Please take a few moment and take pictures of it as it develops. Thank you so much.

Wow..I bet the cat lady is awfully happy about the results of her auction. What a wonderful wife you have. Thanks Sue.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That is a beautiful and colorful looking afghan and Sue is to be congratulated for her donation. And, the fact that it was snatched up so fast by the winner is a testament indeed to her talents.

Wendy said...

What a story! I can't imagine all the work going into making that quilt.Starting with that video. I think I'd have quit right there! But it certainly was worth all that effort. It's absolutely gorgeous!

Cat lady did quite well! And I hope Sue gets to make one for herself.

p.s. did you have to sleep on the floor while the quilt was occupying your bed? Or was that the guest room. LOL.

Mara said...

I loved that afghan then and love it now. I showed it to my sister, in hope of her being able to make it for me (I am more of a knitter than a crocheter), but so far, she has resisted.

My second love of course is cats and knowing it got sold to raise money for the rehoming of cats is just brilliant.

Oh, and can you ask Sue to send me the pattern. With my sister so uncooperative, I might have to start making it myself!

Tanza Erlambang - Every Day Issues said...

lovely sue and afghan.
have a great day

Ruth said...

Sue is a very talented artist in many mediums. I think the quilt was worth more than that if you consider the time that went into making such a beautiful piece. But artists never get their due, imo. It was a very generous gesture to donate it to this cause.