Friday, December 07, 2018

Danica's First Volleyball Game

Danica tried out for the school volleyball team and made the B squad.

Tuesday saw us travelling to a nearby town for a little tournament and her first games ever. Two courts plus spectators in a little gym made it a very compact venue. Unfortunately, our seats ended up being on our team's end, facing their backs.

But it was a momentous occasion of sorts, and I'm glad we made it. We only stayed for the one game, but at least we were there to support her that much.

When I saw this sign upon entering the school, I was quite amused. I mean to picture a volleyball game taking place in the library ...




Our girls arrived late. They were almost bumped from the first game, but they took to the court in the nick of time. In time for the anthem, announcements, and prayer (Catholic school. I gritted my teeth. lol). We had positioned ourselves at one court but had to move to the other, and as previously reported, we got to look at their backs. Fortunately, there is some turning in the game, and I was a bit to the side too.





Danica got to serve once and was disappointed with the results. I was right next to her with a longish lens at that, so this is my rather tight shot.



The final score with our team with the red numbers, followed by a gathering at the bench where Danica is the tall one.




And that was Danica's first volleyball game. We learned later that they won their division that day.


8 comments:

Marie Smith said...

It is great to support the grandkids in all their activities. Danica did well for a first game.

Mage said...

Bravo Danica. I really enjoyed your chronicling the game. She's lovely too.

Joanne Noragon said...

You're good grandparents!

Tabor said...

Yay for the win and yay for great action shots!!

William Kendall said...

Good for them!

Christina said...

I am putting you forward for grandparents of the year award. It is so nice to see you being a part of your grandchildren's life. Some of my best childhood (and teenage) memories are of shared moments with my grandparents. Love to watch volley ball. I tried it as a teen but was always rather bad at it. Congratulations to the winning team!

Vicki Lane said...

Good for Danica! Her height will be an advantage in v-ball. I loved playing volleyball -- one of the very few sports I ever enjoyed (though not at a competitive level.)

Jenn Jilks said...

Was there any pressure with you photographing her??!! :-)
She is gorgeous!