Sunday, June 24, 2018

Solstice Sunset

To wrap up the solstice day, I headed to Riverside Park to get whatever sunset photos that I could manage. Once again, the sightlines aren't the best, but you do what you can. As in the morning, the sky was cloudless, so all I could photograph was that slight glow as the sun dipped below the trees on the opposite bank.

But first, there was nice golden light and long shadows where I parked the car and began to walk towards the river.




At the river, while I waited for quite awhile for the sun to lower I took this photo with the lady of the dock waiting for her children to finish their paddling. You can see a faint sunset glow on the horizon.



I never did get a photo that I liked in the spot that I had chosen, but before I left the park, I wandered around the edge of the river and found a few shots using framing that I kind of like. The sunset wasn't quite as good as it looks here, but with a little underexposure and that little adjusting of the white (colour) balance, they turned out alright. In fact, I quite like the second one to the point where I think it might be print worthy.




I pointed the camera away from the sunset, or whatever there was of it, towards downtown. The spire of townhall is close to the centre of the frame. Once again, a little underexposure plus saturation makes the photo acceptable.



As I was about to leave, a small boat went by and left some light in its wake. In fumbling around to get the shot, I missed the best of the ripples but caught enough nevertheless.


6 comments:

Shammickite said...

I like all of those photos. They are calm and gentle with the lovely golden sky framed by the foliage. And the long shadows in the first pictures, very nice.

Marie Smith said...

Sometimes the trace of an item gives a perfect photo.

Silver in AZ said...

Great photos! They can't all be rainbow sherbet kind of sunsets. :)

Joanne Noragon said...

And I came in to say not all sightlines need to be unobstructed.

Mage said...

Just loverly.

Jenn Jilks said...

I keep thinking I must get on this for next year, but I likely won't! Why would I, when I can look at your photos?!