Monday, June 25, 2018

Solstice Peace Walk

Another event of the very busy day of the solstice was the Peace Walk in the labyrinth. By busy, I mean getting up at 3:30, two photo shoots, two exercise classes, one hearing test, and one small shopping trip.

The peace walk began with the introduction of the new addition to the labyrinth grounds -- a large dream catcher. It was introduced fully and respectfully by this lady who told all about the design and symbolism.



Meanwhile, this child and I stared at each other.



Back to the narrative: the dream catcher was then placed in the centre of the labyrinth where it could be visited by the walkers as a choir sang sweetly in the background. It will later be permanently placed elsewhere on the grounds -- the dream catcher, not the choir.



More photos featuring the dream catcher.




Photos of the walkers. The first is unintentionally blurry, and I like the effect in this case.



Holding my camera near ground level, it looks as if they are walking uphill, but I like this effect too.



And a final walker photo which includes the child whom I photographed earlier.


3 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Love that tradition. Your community has such lovely events.

Silver in AZ said...

That is, without a doubt, the largest dream catcher I've ever seen! Cool!

Hena Tayeb said...

Lovely event.
Replying back to you from my blog (since blogger doesn't send us emails anymore) From what I understood it's not really anything new, it's what we have been doing.. putting a white carnation in colored water and watching the carnation change color or the reaction of baking soda with vinegar. It's just that someone decided to label it differently. With the new label they are also bringing more attention to the subject of learning while playing and how to make learning fun. Toys like Lego and Knex are getting a lot of focus.. a few years ago my eldest took a class where they built something with Lego's then added a power source to make it move.

It may still seem vague but I hope that at least sort of answers your question.