Monday, January 29, 2018

It Fits Not

Woah! They got us yesterday. The food stealthy shrinkers, I mean.

As is our custom, we applied our special handy-dandy tuna drainer to the tuna can, and it didn't fit. It did not fit! It would not do what it was supposed to do as seen below.



This was most unfortunate, and try as we might using other methods we were unable to squeeze the same amount of juice from the can. In the event, our sandwiches were a little soggy.

A little Googling revealed that yes, Honey! they had shrunk the can. From 6oz to 5oz. Of course, they didn't shrink the price. In fact, it is reported that they actually put the price up.


This sort of thing has been going on for some time. I first noticed it maybe five years ago  when they shrunk bacon packages from 454 grams (or 1  pound) to 375 grams.

But according to this article, they've done it to all sorts of products. It mentions a package of cookies that now has six fewer cookies. And both your peanut butter jars and ice cream containers may be smaller too.

Well shrinking the volume is one thing, but when my tuna strainer no longer fits  ..... well it gives me fits. That's what it does — gives me fits.


9 comments:

likeschocolate said...

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Vicki Lane said...

I HATE it when they do this. Some of my favorite recipes specify a 16 oz. can of this or that and now that product is 14.5 oz. It's happening all too often.

Silver in AZ said...

I've noticed that before too (Ding Dongs are tiny now!)...and I stop using the manufacturer when it happens.

Tabor said...

Capitalism is find as long as we have a consumer protection arm.

Ginnie said...

It's all so sneaky ... do the manufacturers think we won't notice? Or, is it more likely that they just don't care ... as long as their profit margin goes up?

Shammickite said...

I noticed the change in the bacon packages a while ago. Now I need 2 packets just to make sure there's enough for everyone when we have a Family Brekky! The shrinking packages of everything are a bit like when Canada went metric.... New Metric Packaging, 10 muffins instead of 12, and for the Same Low Price!!!!
I suppose you'll have to find another smaller tuna drainer to fit the new can size, or a better idea.... manufacture one as I'm sure lots of angry tuna lovers will need one.

Debbie said...

now that's a bummer!!!

Mage said...

I am so sorry.

Jenn Jilks said...

Wow. What a pain in the arse.
I hadn't even noticed about the bacon.

What do you think about the price fixing for bread??!!
I really ought to make my own, except hubby cannot eat it and I'd be tempted with a wonderful smelling loaf all for me that will just go mouldy as I won't eat it very fast.
Hubby makes his own non-yeast bread. sigh.

I've found a lot of things shrinking. Products that don't fill up a box.