Monday, October 09, 2017

Gone or Maybe Not

Scuppered ... sort of.

My plan was to write a post about the fading of the double-edged razor into the mists of time.

Even though I a long ago switched to a modern razor (like this over here →) for main shaving, I have mostly used an old-fashioned razor to get the edges. I just find that it works better for the contours around my beard.



For those not born fifty years ago, these are the kinds of razors that we used to us. We had no choice. It was all there was. Somewhere along the line, someone invented the modern type (as above) and everybody switched. Including me, but I still kept using the old type for the edges as shown over there ←.


The last package that I tracked down, quite awhile ago now,  was at a dollar store, but being in great need for new blades after using them beyond hope, I went back. And found nothing nada zilch zippo.


So, I thought the old times were all gone and that I could write a nostalgic blog. But then, in searching for images to cleverly insert into this post, it appeared that there were still viable products out there to the extent that it even seems possible to purchase new handles and not just blades.

But lo and behold, blades are indeed available or so Google says. Apparently, you can get them at WM among other places (proof over there →). I'm not sure whether our store would carry them, but I might be able to get them online at least.

Not how many should I order in case
we are truly nearing the end of their life span?

Hmm ... how long will I live and show much do I want to stock up? Because I don't suppose my descendants will have any use for them. Will you, Jonathan?

7 comments:

Mara said...

Ah, but they work a treat to get paint off windows, gum off floors and probably several other things. So, investing in a box or two might not be such a big deal!

Marie Smith said...

I agree with Mara. Lots of other uses so a few packages won't go to waste.

Silver in AZ said...

hubby has used electric forever, although I still use lady's razors like that. The pink ones. :)

Debbie said...

i buy girly razors and leave the manly ones to the hubs!!! google is awesome for everything!!

Joanne Noragon said...

What nostalgia. Being only one generation past straight razors, I learned to shave with my dad's razor, and Wilkinson blades. I survived the first time, except the roar "Who used my razor!" Of course, my mother hadn't, so I was found out. I swear, my dad knew which side to use next and if the blade had been flipped.

Ginnie said...

Wow ... an informative entry complete with little arrows. I think it's time you got back to using the camera ... just sayin'

Kay said...

I was about to write what Mara said. I'm afraid we've already upgraded too.