Saturday, January 18, 2014

Riiverwood in Mono

Well ... my goodness ... I think I have come to the end of my cottage posts. I thought I would post Riverwood (the cottage) in black and white. You have seen many of these previously, in colour, so once again. I needn't resort overly to my normal, tedious explication. In general, I am often conflicted over my b&w conversions. I often hmm and haw over which version I like best — colour or mono — and can seldom make up my mind.


A four photo 180 degree pano of the view of the road.






Finally, I have two versions of a photoshopped version of the stairs. My intent was to make the stairway look sinister. You must tell me if either worked and which of the two you like best (or least). I did much more distorting in the first than the second, but I think the second might look spookier.





9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

the 2nd stairs is spookier. i like the barn shot in b&w best.

Gail Dixon said...

I love b&w photography but seldom use it. Maybe because most of my images are of birds and to remove their color seems wrong. I like the image here of the barn edge with the snowdrift to the right side. That one gets my attention.

Shammickite said...

I like the different values in the b&w shots, it gives them a very dramatic presence, and I think the first staircase is really spooky!

Unknown said...

I love b & W photos, and besides the staircases, I think I like the first best.

Mara said...

The first staircase looks more fairy-tale than spooky. The second one looks so much longer and therefore spookier. You can see the end, but the way up is sooooo long! And you just know that whatever is chasing you will catch you before you get to the top!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Enjoyed these B&W conversions, John. And, for me the 1st stairs shot seemed more ominous.

Ginnie said...

I think I've mentioned this to you before AC ... but my husband(who was a staff photograper for "Life" magazine back in the
50's) maintained that black and white photography was the only "true" way to portray a picture. He would love yours.

KGMom said...

First staircase looks like Fun House.
Second--more sinister.
Black and white certainly emphasizes the snow.

Regenia said...

I can certainly see why you waver between the two! And I am a wimp; they both look pretty scary to me.