Wednesday, January 22, 2014

From Apsley to Riverwood

On our last day at the cottage, we had to drive into the nearest village (nearest with any decent stores at least) to purchase a new lock for the storage shed. Somewhere along the line, I lost the old one — probably dropped it in the snow to be uncovered in spring.

On the drive into town, the clouds were gray, the road somewhat snow overed and rutty, and there were occasional little squalls (snow blowing across the road in localized spots). I kept thinking that readers might like to see a few clips of the route, so on the way home, I dug the camera out for Sue to shoot some clips. Of course, the skies were sunnier and the squalls less frequent by then, but I still put together a little montage of less than four minutes.

We begin in Apsley, follow 620 to Glen Alda and turn onto the road to the cottage. I have added a few labels to the clips to identify a few things as we pass by. The trip takes ~20 minutes in summer but more like ~30 minutes when the road is in this condition. The video lasts for 3:42.

It's not rivetting, but I thought some of you might like to see a bit of the geography of the Canadian Shield (cottage country) in winter conditions.

The video is shaky. Youtube has a procedure that will reduce the shake, but I opted to leave it in because that's the way this bumpy drive was.



10 comments:

Cuppa said...

Doesn't look as bumpy as it felt.

TexWisGirl said...

i can't watch without getting motion sickness!

Dimple said...

I enjoyed the ride. It's nice to see the countryside and not have to contend with snowy driving conditions!

Gail Dixon said...

A beautiful drive! That ice and bumpiness would have given me a panic attack if I was the one driving, though.

Jimmie Earl said...

Looks like a fun place to go. Your roads look similar to ours after our big snow. Our terrain is extremely flat in most areas of the county, making blowing snow a problem. What a beautiful area. Thanks for sharing. It makes it easier to visualize where you live.

Lorna said...

Have taken the ride and many similar ones in eastern Ontario. I know from experience how well you handle the snow.

Donna said...

OMGGGG!!!! (SCREAMING HERE!!!)Hahahaaaa....(FEET PLANTED FIRMLY ON FLOORBOARD HANGING ON FOR DEAR LIFE)Hahahaaa....omgggg...Made Larry watch...we were both laughing so hard at your driving speed!
Larry said it's because YOU know how to drive in that stuff...and WE do NOT!Hahaaa...
LOVE this! Beautiful country Ac!!
hughugs

Regenia said...

That was so totally cool! I felt like I was in the back seat taking a ride with friends! And just to think I've already been to Canadian Cottage Country this morning. How did the area come to be termed "Cottage Country"?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the ride. I loved seeing your neck of the woods!

Anonymous said...

Oh and I thought the same thing as Donna...wow they are moving right along despite all the snow. We would have to shut Rhode Island down for the day with weather like that. I didn't know that you guys drive on the opposite side of the road, either.