Thursday, December 27, 2012

It Was A White Christmas

My goodness! The solstice brought our first heavy snowfall, and it was heavy in terms of both volume and stickiness. Days later, it was still clinging to polls and trees and still is to some extent. We've since had another fairly major fall, but these photos are all taken after the first one and before Christmas.

It's been difficult to get out and around. In eight winters, I have never witnessed the town's streets being in such horrendous shape. Driving around town is like driving on an unmaintained sideroad — maybe worse because it's not only very bumpy but also icy. Yesterday, I was driving slowly due to the conditions, but even then, there was so much ice underneath that I was barely able to stop at an intersection. The car just kept going thru, and the brakes only fully deployed about a foot from a cab that was stopped in the intersection. Scarey stuff.

Therefore, I haven't gone far to take pictures, and even then, I've had limited access due to snowbanks. But here are some shots that I did take and like. For this set, you might want to click on the first and view them larger as this is the end of my commentary.







12 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for showing the snow, John. We had a day of rain that totaled nearly 3 inches but I would have traded gladly. The second and third shots in your series are my favorites.

Hilary said...

Very pretty but not worth going after if the roads are that bad. Stay safe.

We got about 8 inches yesterday.. that was the first one for us. I wouldn't mind another winter like last year's.

Mara said...

We had snow on Christmas Eve morning which turned to rain halfway through the day, just turning everything into slush! Your photos look great!

Ginnie said...

Wow...your pictures are amazing AC but it makes me go BRRRRR just looking at them. Stay safe !

Shammickite said...

Well, you really got dumped on didn't you! Just a little bit of snow at my house, but I was downtown Toronto yesterday and lots of snow there!

Judy said...

Wow. This was our 2nd green Christmas in a row. VERY unusual here in west Michigan. On the 26th we received three inches. Now I've seen it, and I am done with it for the year.
Beautiful pictures.

Lorna said...

Well, as always, you've provided some wonderful shots. We have beautiful views from the house, but I can't find either the battery charger or the download cable for my camera, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Unknown said...

No white Christmas. 2 days later snow everywhere. About 1 inch.
QMM

Bernie said...

Beautiful pictures John, stay warm and safe,xo

CailinMarie said...

wonderful photos - the serenity of the landscape in the second and last photo brought me to complete stop & focus. lovely.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

We had snow here just before Christmas. I went to Toronto and it was all brown there until the day after Christmas, when they had a little snow.

Ruth said...

The composition of these pictures is very professional. I really like the last one.