Sunday, December 30, 2012

I Remember When ...

... I could simply go to bed when I so chose. Now, it's a production that takes time.


I took this picture once I organized myself for bed on Christmas Eve when we slept over at the kids' place. My camera was near at hand, and I couldn't resist.

Starting on the far left are two types of sleeping pills — melatonin and a prescription. I find that with both (and both are fairly mild), I can often obtain a decent nights sleep — but not that night, of course.

Then, there comes my iPod, which gives me something to do in the event that sleep eludes. It was well used that night. In front of it are my hearing aids.

Next, comes both hand lotion and lip balm. It was a dry night, and they both got used.

Don't forget the hanky and two types of eye ointment. I use the stuff in the tube when I go to bed and use the drops during the night if needed because they are much easier to administer in the dark. My eyes get horribly dry at night to the point where I sometimes think that the lids may stick to the eyeball.

On the far right are two kinds of cough drops: one more for the throat and one for the cough. These are not a constant in my life, but when I do come down with something or other, my throat is usually the first part of my body to be hit. And I was under attack over Christmas.

Finally, at the front is my trusty magnetic flashlight, which can be awfully handy when I'm searching for one necessity or other in the dark.

At home, these items are spread here and there, but when they are assembled together like this, they highlight how pathetic I really am.

It was a long night, made longer by the fact that I was determined to stay in bed so that the kids could wake us in the morning proclaiming that Santa had been. When Danica bounded in, it was like being released from prison, I tell ya.

At home and after several more bad nights, I am almost delirious to report that I slept for about ten hours last night. I don't think I have slept that long in more than a decade. I did have my usual restless period from about 3 - 4. Sometimes, it forces me to get up, but last night I was able to stay the course and get back to sleep.

10 comments:

Donna said...

You are NOT pathetic! When I get ill I keep all my aids close by as well...
SO glad you finally got some sleep...Been a While!
The photos on your previous post are GORGEOUS!!!! You definitely have a gift!
Get better soon!
hughugs

Mara said...

I hope you get to sleep well tonight and that you will soon have shaken this cold!

Lorna said...

you are efficient, amusing and a bit of a neat freak, but I don't buy pathetic.

Jimmie Earl said...

My medicine cabinet in the master bath looks very much like your night stand. I, too, keep my MP3 player and ear buds handy for those sleepless hours (mine are between 4 & 6 AM). Of course, living alone, sometimes I just turn on the light and read for a while until sleep comes and the book hits me in the nose. LOL! Happy New Year to you and yours!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Bedtime has become a ritual of preparations it seems. Grenville has some of the same items close by his nightstand and I always have a bottle of water and tissues available. Music is on all night courtesy of pandora Internet radio and his iPod.and, like you I rarely sleep through the night, but choose not to try any aids, for now.
Happy New Year!

Ginnie said...

Hey, where's your crossword puzzle and a good book? Those are my crutches...and the cough drops. I even use those (sugar free) when I don't "need" them ... I like the menthol taste.
I wouldn't say pathetic...more like a good sense of humor...we can all use that.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

What an array of items for bedtime.
Maybe I am not as old as I feel: I have none of these. I do not sleep long but I do sleep often. I go to bed after midnight and get up early. I can fall asleep easily in a chair. Sometimes I wake up when my face hits the keyboard. Some nights I get up too early. The other night after going to bed about one I got up thinking it was about 6:30. I felt well rested, made coffee, washed my hands and face and brushed my teeth,. I even brushed my hair. I flicked on the TV and found a movie but noticed a lot of sites had paid for broadcasts. Time to check the clock!!! It was 3:30 and I was up and read to go already. I finished my coffee and found a chair to sit in to listen to Australian radio all about Asian concerns.

I didn't mean to write all this. Time for another short nap.

troutbirder said...

Sad to say it's all too true. I know from experience. With one addition. It's her cat who sneaks onto my territory from the Mrs. side of the bed. Your see I have an eviction policy... for the cat that is...:)

Shammickite said...

WoW that's quite an arsenal of "Stay-asleep" aids. But if you need them, and they work, why not use whatever suits you. I haven't resorted to pills, music, creams and potions so far. But I'm sure the day will come....

Pearl said...

A good night's sleep is a blessing. Most nights I watch the walls a few times, even if my regimen isn't as extensive.