Friday, June 22, 2018

Solstice Sunrise

A few years ago, I made an effort to photograph both the sunrise and sunset of the summer solstice, so I decided to make an effort to try again this year.

Neither event can be seen in full splendor near our town, or at least I am not particularly aware of such spots, especially sunset. Nevertheless, I picked out a possible sunrise spot and checked it out the morning before the solstice.



I set my alarm for 4:00 but awoke at 3:30. After coffee, I headed to this spot just under the nearby bridge. I wanted to be in place by about 4:30 for the sun to arise by about 5:15.

As you can see by both the previous and following photos, there was the dreaded blank sky, which doesn't help to provide much sky drama. So, all I manged to get was the glow of the rising sun while it was still below the horizon.

This photo caught some of the foreground flowers and grasses

I was happy enough with the photos to try again on solstice morning, so I arose at the same time and returned to the same spot. This time, I used a normal lens rather than the wide angle of the previous day.

The conditions, however, were just about the same with that blank sky, but I experimented a bit and eventually managed to highlight some of the foreground flowers with my head lamp. These purple flowers were blowing in the wind, but I don't mind the sense of motion although I wouldn't consider printing this either.



I think I would consider printing this one, however, as I like the white daisies which are both in better light and focus than the purple flowers above.



In both mornings, I was back home before the actual sunrise because I figured that the best was over. But first, I did make another stop on the solstice morning.

7 comments:

Marie Smith said...

All are gorgeous and frame worthy AC. The ones with the flowers in the foreground are exceptional.

Joanne Noragon said...

Well composed pictures. I do like the last one. I remember trying to get up early enough to shoot the sunrise in Maine. It's mighty early.

Silver in AZ said...

great idea and great photos! As far as color goes, I find that about 20-30 minutes AFTER the sun sets, is when the best colors show up in the sky. I used to chuckle when in Hawaii when people would leave the beach the moments after the sun officially set. Many stayed behind with me, though, knowing that the best was yet to come. Not sure about sunrises; there were very few I have bothered to rise for, to photograph. :)

Tabor said...

Because you are careful with prep, timing, etc, you are going to have more and more fun with sunrise photos. I guarentee it.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a dedicated experiment! Mind you, I've been waking at 5 or 6 a.m., for no apparent reason. I think as a result of jet lag, and just tiring out at 9 p.m.!
Lovely, lovely photos, as ever.

Doris Potter said...

Gorgeous images! I especially like the ones with the purple flowers (which I believe are Viper's Bugloss).

MARY G said...

I just paged through the whole series and am impressed. you are becoming more unconventional and I love that. unconventional is not quite the right word, but it catches a bit of your experimentation and love of colour.