Monday, July 28, 2008

Sitting by the Dock

... Kicking and Splashing

Friday afternoon found us taking the Bonnie Wee One to the park, the park to walk in by the river as opposed to the playground from which it is difficult to extricate the munchkin. As we wandered in, we stooped (or rather, I stooped, while she stood) to gaze at a nearby gaggle of Canada geese. And didn't these feisty creatures make a beeline to us, and wasn't the leader hissing confrontationally, and didn't we, therefore, forthwith beat a hasty retreat? One doesn't fool around with a Canada Goose in a temper, not when one has a baby in tow anyway.



We wandered down to the little dock where Niks insisted on getting her feet in. So, Grampa held on as tightly as possible while she did her thing.



She splashed long and hard, and we both got wet, but it was fun.



Cuppa has posted a short video clip of the same event.

11 comments:

Ruth said...

Geese are rather confrontational at times. They block the sidewalk at the swamp in our neighbourhood and hiss at anyone approaching. I just walk through them, but I wouldn't try it with a baby. The last picture is so cute.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Never too young to learn to swim. I expect to see the two of you in the water soon!

Ginnie said...

Her little outfits are adorable. I've been on the losing end of a confrontation with an irate Canada Goose and it was frightening...
I'm glad she has such a good protector.

Donna said...

OhMyGoodness!!! RUN!!LOL....Happy Day!hughugs

Amanda said...

It looks like a lovely warm summers day. Wish i was there! We might be visiting Canada again next year, but i hope not to come across those Canada Goose!!

Woman in a Window said...

That shot of the geese is wonderful.

I remember my neighbour's geese - the farm variety - nice and yellow and seemingly fairylike. When I was four and five they would chase me around squaking up sounds of hell while they tried to eat my blond hair whipping up a storm behind me while I RAN!!!

ChrisB said...

That goose looks pretty aggressive! When I was in Canada I didn't realise they could get nasty and I walked amongst them taking photos~ so I guess I got lucky as they ignored me!

I can see you and Nikki Dee had fun :)

Turtle Guy said...

We have lots of those geese here too, but I can't remember ever having one hiss at me. I guess they all have it pretty good here with all the handouts!

Kathy Trejo said...

Helloooo Anvilcloud (((Hugs)))

These beautiful creatures are fun to watch...and your grandaughter is growing fast :) I really want to visit Canada one of these days...I hear it's beautiful there.

I'm on vacation right now with my hubby...we just came back from a three week stay in El Paso Texas, visiting my father-in-heart.

Oh'...i also wanted to say that we received your postcard in the P.O. Box the other day! Richard never checks the mail in there except once in six months. haha its a good thing the owner is friends with my hubby or he'd lose his account. Thank you Anvilcloud & Cuppa!

(((Hugs)))

dabrah said...

I love the picture of the little one splashing her feet in the water.

Anonymous said...

Yup.. don't want to tangle with a grumpy goose.

How adorable she is, splashing away. :-)