Sunday, September 06, 2026

Foggy Monday

There are other things to post this week, so I sit here on Monday unsure when y'all will see this. But it doesn't really matter because it is not time sensitive, not like birthdays or medical issues.

When I awoke a little after 6 and saw that it was foggy, I eschewed my start-of-the-morning coffee. Instead I dressed, nabbed my heavy hooded sweater on the way because it was a chilly 15C/59F out there, dropped the Montreal Canadiens tea towel in the doorway (to be explicated below) on my den floor, went downstairs, and drove to the neighbourhood park.

Those with an interest in photography will try to explore fog if possible, and I was hoping for something good. While, I did not exactly get anything very good in the dull, low contrast park, I did get some photos that are not normally available. Fog is probably best when the sunlight begins to filter through in the morning, but the clouds blocked the sun on this day.

I am always on the lookout for benches, so my first photo was of the bench by the pond with a tree in the foggy beyond. A guy walked into the photo. While I was a little late to get him in the perfect spot on the other side of the tree, he does add a little point of interest. He was walking briskly in summer attire on a cool morning. Now, it strikes me that it would be a better photo with the foreground bench cropped out, and maybe I will still do that sometime.


I did not really want to photograph a suburban house on the edge of the park, but the scene was framed nicely by the branches and the path formed a leading line, so I clicked.


Next came the little footbridge. I've got some pretty fair photos of the bridge from the other side in winter, and it did give me a focal point on this day.


Against my better judgment, I took a photo of the pond. It is really just a drainage pond without a very good outlet, so it gets quite scummy at times, and I generally try to avoid it when it gets to that state. My iPhone was imploring me to clean the lens, assuming that the lens was dirty because it couldn't focus well in the fog. This was the only time of the morning that it issued the warning.


Now to explain the Tea Towel on the Floor.
I have the Montreal Canadiens tea towel as a team thing; it goes with my Canadiens beer pop fridge and the team blanket. It hangs on the back of the door, so I seldom see it, but I know that it is there and occasionally use it as a notification for Sue by tossing it on the floor of my den right by the door. When she wakes and finds me missing, she might be prone to worry, so this flags her attention, and she knows that I am not really MIA. I used to go out often in the early morning, but that was mostly when we had old phones, if any at all, that could not track each other. These days, I cannot get away with much and have been forced to drop the myriads of ladies that I used to visit. Too bad for me.




22 comments:

  1. There's something about foggy views that remind me of King Arthur and Avalon! Nice photos! Love the tea towel message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a caring hubby. As well as a pretty darn good photographer. The foggy shots are surprisingly in full color...somehow I expected B&W. But I do appreciate that little surprise. Like knowing the walker wore a blue shirt. It's so dry here in SW Colorado, the whole idea of fog is a fond memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting photos on a foggy morning. Good explanation of what you were trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh... phones that track us. Dan and I both use that to check where each other is at any given time. For me it helps me know when to expect him home from brass quintet rehearsals so dinner can be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super fog shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice shots. The house is my favorite. Feeling sad for all those ladies wondering what happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the leading lines in that cottage down the lane pic.
    Secret language partner signals are truly useful, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got up about 6:30 this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bahaaaaha! You and your myriad of ladies made a smart decision. I love the fog pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So the towel means you're off visiting some lovely lady? Oho!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like fog. I guess I should I have it here every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These came out really well. Fog can turn an ordinary view into something mysterious and almost surreal, and these capture it well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The photos are very beautiful and the towel on the floor is a good way to leave a message.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your last sentence gave me a chuckle but that's a sweet thing you do for Sue to leave the tea towel telling her you are out and about. Your foggy photos are lovely. I used to enjoy having a walk on a foggy morning, the stillness and quiet of it was lovely. My best to you both and have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We had early morning fog this weekend, but unlike you, I simply admired it from the window and returned to bed. Good for you on getting out, maybe next time I will do the same. The towel on the floor notification was sweet, we usually leave a post-it note on the inner door.😏

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots. It was worth it! Joe has learned to track my phone, which gives him some peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some of my favorite photos I have taken are on foggy days so I understand.

    We track each other with our phones too so no carousing for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our past view mornings have had extreme fog and clouds without much sun, however this morning the fog is clearing and I am not chasing the light. These are interesting because fog is so underrated in photography. I enjoyed these.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful shots! They are so moody.
    I love the towel on the floor. Such a sweet tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Doggone technology! I like these photoa and I like the bench in the foreground of the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm having terrible trouble commenting on blogger posts! Sorry, John. I've changed browsers three times. I love foggy photos; they are atmospheric. Using the tea towel is an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete