Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Do You Deserve a Tip of the Hat?


I use all but one. If you know and use most and/or you can guess which one I don't use, I tip my cap to you. (My answer will appear somewhat below the next photo.)






keep scrolling




The only word that I don't use cattywumpus, but maybe I should try  

How did you do?

30 comments:

  1. Lollygag and Cattywampus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fat fingers grr
      I’ve no idea what Cattywumpus means😊. Lollygag isn’t a word I use either

      Delete
  2. Kerfufulle, Malarkey. I use Cattywumpus a lot when something is out of balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember using most of these, but I never said brouhaha for sure. The rest are quite likely if needed. Thanks for tipping your hat to us (Sue?) in your bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used all of them but not regularly. I'd tip my hat right back at you, but I wear a hat even more rarely than I use those words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've used all of them, some more than others. Do you not use brouhaha? That's the one that's rare for me. I don't wear hats but you look great in them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure I use them all but for sure I don't use cattywampus.
    Your blog still doesn't refresh on my blog list. Maybe I need to delete it and load again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, delete worked for An English Girl Rambles but not for yours. Will try again.

      Delete
  7. Ha, I guessed skedaddle, but they're all pleasantly rousing options I need to use more often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah! I too use all of them (sans cattywampus) just like you do. And, if fact I use the others fairly regularly. I have a tendency to really like “different” words, and really like the nuanced differences words impart. I have always liked using “less commonly” used words. One example from this morning was my use of the word “Davenport” as a word that is a synonym for a “couch”.

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
  9. I confess, I've used most, if not all, of them and some very recently -- like within the past few days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have used some of them but rarely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I probably haven't used kerfluffle in an actual conversation but I've used all the rest, especially cattywampus. It takes phrases of other words to replace what you can say with the single word cattywampus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great. I knew some, but not all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m not going to say that I use them all regularly, but I do use them all when warranted. I use cattywumpus semi-regularly, but I think I need to use nincompoop more often. There are definitely people deserving of the title!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forgot to mention, I heard the term ‘fisticuffs’ recently, and it was so absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too use most of these now and then. I'm especially fond of brouhaha, as used years ago by The Firesign Theatre, Q: What's all this brouhaha? A: Brouhaha? Ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too use most of these now and then. I'm especially fond of brouhaha, as used years ago by The Firesign Theatre, Q: What's all this brouhaha? A: Brouhaha? Ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Actually, they don't sound unusual anymore because of Netflix. I use "shitfuckery" too

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have heard these words most of my life but I haven't used them as of late.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I use about six of those words but not often in speech, mostly they are included in the stories I write.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am familiar with most of these expressions but I don't think I use any of the.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I use several of those. "Bamboozled" and "shenanigans" are just ordinary words, not unusual. I wouldn't use "cattywumpus" because I don't know what it means, and I'm not too sure about "lollygag" (to gag somebody with a lollypop?).

    "Nincompoop" has a noble origin, derived from the Latin non compos mentis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lollygag is to waste time (doing anything except what you are supposed to be doing), being aimless, doing things slowly and lazily, for instance I spend a lot of time lollygagging at the laptop instead of sweeping my floors etc

      Delete
  22. I use all but cattywampus. Otherwise I use all of them, some occasionally, others more often.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know most of them but I only used Bamboozled, shenanigans, flabbergasted and discombobulated.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I use cattywumpus all the time because two-time Indianapolis winner and long time TV racing announcer Bobby Unser used to use it in his broadcasts and it sounded cool.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I (amazingly) guess your unused word. I use discombobulated fairly often.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I use them occasionally, especially shenanigans and kerfuffle!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I use them all, to my great shame. My Dad was a great wielder of Cattywampus, and my sibs and i loved to say it. Skedaddle is also a fun word to say.

    ReplyDelete