Thursday, September 24, 2026

The Moon at 4

With the current meds for my ear, my sleep has been quite fitful, even more than usual. It's mostly from the decongestants, which the doctor declared that she ordinarily would not like to prescribe to a 79-year-old man.

When I awoke to unowat at 4, I was stunned to see the full moon is a spot where I had never seen it, just over the trees before it would soon begin to dip out of sight.

It was 4am. I went back to bed chair. My inner voice whispered, “No, John. That won’t do. You really must get up and try to get a photo.”

I didn’t want to waken Sue by pulling out the screen, so I shot through it and also through the window pane that I could have opened more had I not been tiptoeing. I pressed the shutter, with the phone commanding me to hold for 2 seconds, or maybe it was 3. That’s hard, but I did my best  

Those were not ideal circumstances, but I tried regardless, and with a little help from photoshop to remove extra window reflections, I think the photo is good enough to post here.


I did, eventually, get back to sleep until 6, which gave me a total of 5 hours — not great but just about enough to keep me from getting too crotchety.


13 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I am glad you did get back to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you made good use of your sleeplessness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Sue a light sleeper? Or do the screen and window make noise when opening/closing? I always step outside when trying for moon shots which isn't often as I live too close to the city and usually only see the moon when it is far too high in the sky. Nice photo you got from inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That determination to sneak a photo through the screen and window without waking Sue, all while your inner voice insisted you get up, really paid off. Photoshop or not, that moon shot was worth the effort, and glad you still managed five hours in the end.

    Greetz, Diana
    https://canalsandcitrus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. As they say, the best photo is the one taken and not the ten that you failed to capture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The moon is like a star in this shot, very pretty! It was so overcast and rainy here that no moonlight shone through.
    I'm glad you got to see it and was able to get back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shot, with your sleepiness and stealthiness contributing of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had a lovely reward for having a sleepless night. Obviously shooting through the window and screen while on tiptoe worked. It’s a cool shot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you on the sleep. The photo is lovely -- it would be a great Easter card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out to be a great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This photo has a terrific sci-fi vibe. Way to suffer for your art, sir. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty. You too, even though I don't see you. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can understand why that photo called to you!

    ReplyDelete