It had been a week since our last cycle, and the boys were asking, so we planned to go out on Sunday morning. Alas! due to fluctuating circumstances, they couldn't make it. This allowed Sue and me to range a little farther than we had, but not really too far, and I think we could take the boys there. In fact, I think they would like that ride.
We cycled south to the other pond. Although a little farther and past a busier street, it is a larger pond that doesn't seem to get scummy. We were able to ride the trail that encircles the pond.
As you can glimpse, above, there was an good sky, so once we had completed the circuit, I went back to the beginning to try to get a photo. I found out that the sky was tough to photograph, but, quite delightfully, I encountered another photographer. He had his long lens and was trying to capture butterflies and birds. Indeed, he spotted a monarch butterfly and then an egret while we chatted briefly. I didn't see either, but I took a photo of him with pond and sky in the background.
Then, I decided that a different crop with some of the background being replaced might make a good photo. I will let you judge.
On a quiet nearby street, we cycled past a big truck parked on the side of the road. I haven't taken a truck photo for a certain Flickr meme for some time, so I clicked.
I almost forgot to mention the two plants that I stopped to look at along the pond trail. The iPhone was unable to help me identify this whiteish plant . . . or maybe it did when it said thistle because there are some dried thistle heads within. Yeah, that must be it. I almost didn't notice the globes because I was focussed on the white foliage.
That ↑ was to be it, but then I decided to find my pond photos from 2022 when I visited on a few mornings to capture the early light.
One morning, I swung the camera to the right of the pond and captured the lights and sunrise over the highway. Yes, this is a smallish pond with much around it on three sides. It is also nice that the moon showed up.
I don't get photos like that now because I don't make it a point to get out in good light with my little iPhone.









The clouds in the blue, blue sky have been quite beautiful of late.
ReplyDeleteI have the woodland sunflower blooming around my garden shed.
I've long given up seeking photographs. Now they find me!
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a lovely ride. This is my favourite time of the year to head out on the bikes.
ReplyDeleteIt sound like a fun day and beautiful place to ride. (I like the cropped version better, though it's a tough call with that dramatic sky.) Those last photos are all pretty magical in their different ways.
ReplyDeleteGreat collection of riding and pond photos.
ReplyDeleteThe cloudy sky photos blow me away, we don't often see clouds like that! Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI can’t believe he was trying to catch a butterfly with a long lens. That’s got to be tricky. I had a hard time following a monarch the other day at the gardens when I was close by.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos but your truck pic stands out to me; it reminds me of a show I watch with my grandkids sometimes: Trash Truck. It's a sweet little show and what I love most about it is the palette: all the colours are drenched in sunlight.
ReplyDeleteI like your 1st shot of the photographer best. it was a nice ride.
ReplyDeleteAll the water in the photographs today had me ponder if you were ever (currently?) a fisherman? I used to fish a lot as a kid (biology interest, not eating), did so somewhat in early and middle adulthood, but have not fished in quite a long time. As a kid I did a lot of netting and seining as well as rod…. That is how I had through my childhood and teen years various aquaria of little (1-2 inch) fish of all sorts.
ReplyDeletePipeTobacco
In a single word, No! :)
DeleteBeautiful photos, John!
ReplyDeleteWonderful skies! I think that first plant is a teasel--once used in making woolen fabric.
ReplyDeleteThis is a lovely post. Mr. M. rides his bike everyday. It helps his back. Me, my bike sits still LOL I'd rather walk. Your photos are just stunning.
ReplyDeleteA fun and interesting series of photos. I don't bicycle any more but I used to love the rides we went on. I am happy to see you and Sue still enjoying them. That last photo really spoke to me. It said, "Why can't I take such a lovely picture?", lol! Always nice to chat to people on these outings.
ReplyDeleteI'm still hinting to John that I'd like to get the bikes out. Of course, we're heading into fall and more rain, so we could have missed our chance. You've taken and are still taking marvelous shots.
ReplyDeleteWalking early gives you some great photo opportunities.
ReplyDeleteI love the sunrise photos and the big truck too. I haven't cycled in years, I was okay on flat roads, but even a small incline had my hips protesting, so I gave up the bike and walk instead.
ReplyDelete