Sunday, September 20, 2026

Cold Sunrise

She who runs at an out-of-kilter temperature was surprised when she came into my den yesterday morning. Because. I had the heater on by my computer chair!

Not only that, but I was wearing my winter sweater.

The nights have been cold. Alexa informed me that it was only 2C/36F outside at 7:15.

As you know, our game is to not turn on the heat until the end of October. We have made it to the end of October only once as far as I can recall, but we give it a good shot. We'll see how we do this year. The countdown isn't on yet, but some nights are getting very cool. At present (written yesterday morning), I am heating the bathroom in preparation for my biannual shower. ;)

There was a bit of colour over the opposite rooftops at 6:30. I shot on an angle from the non-screen side of my little window. Come winter, I shall remove the screen, so that I can shoot from either side, likely to photograph the neighbours shovelling snow.


On Friday, the heron was at the pond. I shot at full 8x magnification and then cropped, so of course, the image is anything but sharp. But it's a heron! And the light is good enough. Eh?


Addendum (still referring to yesterday, Saturday)

When I went into the bedroom at 8 to gather my after-shower clothing, Sue had the windows open and was sitting in a very light, Mrs Roper, caftan. Oddly enough, when we go out, she often seems more concerned about the cold than I.


17 comments:

  1. The cooler nights are one thing I love most about this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heat's still off but not, I think, for too much longer if things keep up as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cooler weather. ๐Ÿ˜Ž Beautiful photos. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be lighting fires soon. I am so happy it has cooled down. Great shot of the heron, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JG is running the furnace - he used to be too hot, but now is feeling the cold a lot more. We had a neighbour in his 90's who ran his furnace in its 90s ... pre metric, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was 60ยบ inside today so we turned on the heat for this winter season coming. You have quite a record of waiting to turn yours on.
    As to Blogger, most everyone's blogs are updating as new posts are made except a few - yours being one of those. It tells me your latest post is one week old. Same thing for English Girl Rambles and some others. Can't figure out why. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heat is automatic and comes on when the temperature inside drops below 68. I'm fine with that since I hate to be cold. I also can turn on my gas fireplace. The cat is eager for that to happen! The sunrise and heron photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We try to make it to Oct 31 too but never make it. We don't use any electric heaters so finally give in when it gets really chilly here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are waiting for the cool sunrises and the deer to start in rut around here. I like the cooler weather but then I also like hoodies and coats.
    That Heron shot is the bomb! I love it.
    We had an amazing sunrise Friday morning with all sorts of reds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The texture in that sky! Like a frayed blanket hovering. Colder September nights in Western Canada too but our farmers need the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful sky! We play the same game with when do we close the windows. Which buys us a little time before firing up the heaters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The other night and morning it was 39F However, electric is very expensive here so we just put on extra clothes. That photo of the orange sky is magnificent and the Heron is beautiful. Have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It surely does seem like fall has thrown open the door with a mighty shout "I am baaaaaaack!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. 2 more days till the equinox...it probably won't change the weather much. Hope you all keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pink/orange sky is lovely. Our seasons are opposite and I always try to not use the heating until the end of April. I never make it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The house has definitely cooled off.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your heron photo is a very enjoyable one, and always lovely to see the sunrise. We challenge ourself to hold off putting our heating too, though your temperatures are chillier. Leaves have started falling on our deck. Our low temperature is 66F going up to 74F. I enjoy sweater weather in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete