Friday, March 31, 2023

No Swans

We stopped by the pond in the park around the corner. It was teeming with Canada Geese. The silly things honked their fool heads off as soon as we approached and headed far away from us.

A group of them swam to the far end. I was able to capture the scene ↓ with my telephoto lens.

This pair ↓ was at maximum telephoto distance, but I liked how the trees framed them.


Meanwhile, these two were a little braver, so I was able to get a bit of a closeup.


Sue was shooting close by.


There were also ducks in the pond. I was hoping for something other than mallards, but nothing doing. Still, I did my high key minimalism trick with this pair. I liked this photo because the guy duck looks happy. At the same time the girl duck looks resigned: "Alright, let's get this over with."


We then drove to a different section of trail by the river, hoping that the trumpeter swans might be there. No such luck. The water in this swampy area beside the river is still frozen. My telephoto was not the best lens to have with me at that point, but one tries regardless.



On the way back to the car, Sue stopped me long enough to get this picture. I don't always use my cane, but I thought that it would be best along that path.


As you can see in most photos, plenty of snow remains, and not just in our crazy front yard that I have been posting about recently. The forecast says that many days next week will get temperatures going up to 7 or 8C, so that should begin to make a difference.




18 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I see the red sneakers too, AC.

That is a beautiful area for a ramble. No picnics yet though.

Anvilcloud said...

@Marie: those are my old orange sneakers. They have been through the wars and will be retired once the weather improves and I can use newer shoes without ruining them.

Patio Postcards said...

That's a really nice photo of you. I am surprised you could even get that close to the hissing cobra chickens! I find Canadian Geese particularly aggressive at this time of year.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We are also seeing a large number of Canada geese returning to the Nashua River, most likely some they never left as the winter weather here was not been that severe. Yes, you do have a lot of snow remaining.

Barbara Rogers said...

Yes, closer shots of geese are nice...details show. Glad to see you bundled and out there catching whatever you can. I particularly like the water with snow in next to last shot.

gigi-hawaii said...

Lovely photos.

RedPat said...

You have so much snow still. It is all gone here. Love that last shot before you with the lovely curves & shadows.

Margaret said...

These are great shots. I can relate to the longsuffering lady duck!

Celia said...

Such great photos. We have no more snow but plenty of Canadian geese. These critters don't run - they charge us. Some one has been ignoring the "Do Not Feed" signs.

William Kendall said...

I haven't yet seen the geese here.

Vicki Lane said...

Love the enthusiastic drake and his resigned lady!

roentare said...

I just love seeing Canada geese. They have the unique coat of fur. They look so gentle and mild.

Red said...

Birds don't always cooperate for photos. Butterflies are worse.

MARY G said...

The last telephoto still life is really interesting. And I am using a ski pole, looking silly but safe.
The snow is pelting down here at present. Grr. April Fool early.

The Furry Gnome said...

You guys still have lots of snow!

Bindu said...

Sue looks so cute ! beautiful snowy surroundings!

Granny Sue said...

Lovely area, and some nice shots of the waterfowl.

Jenn Jilks said...

We are slowly melting. That is the best way, as they worry about flooding.