Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Looking Up and Around

After coffee in the car, we headed downtown and walked around, just a bit, for there was a wee nip in the air.

We have a new bridge. It was under construction in all of 2022. The closure was not a boon to downtown merchants, which was too bad after two years of the pandemic. Nevertheless, it had to be done. Come better weather, I will likely take more pictures of and around the bridge, but this will have to do for now. This photo looks downstream toward the trail bridge that you have seen in other photos. The water was very blue that day, so I wanted to get at least one photo. They built a little extension or platform on both sides of the bridge, for people to loiter, get a closer look, and maybe take a picture.

From about the same spot, I turned the camera right toward townhall. How many photos have I taken of this building? How many more will I take?



I continued my looking-up theme and took two photos of 1888 Taylor. I don't know who Taylor was.



Before we retreated to our friendly vehicle, Sue had me pose with some leftovers from Christmas outside the Chamber of Commerce house, which was once a very early residence of a leading family. She is doing a scarlet theme this week, and so . . .



Almost back to our Honda, on the edge of the parking lot, I decided to take just one more photo — of a Mustang parked in a little alcove under the stairs of a two-storey building.


There were no great photos to be had that day, but sometimes it is enough just to point and click: especially now as a long winter begins to show signs of drawing to a close — at least on some days. 




17 comments:

William Kendall said...

Good photos of the town.

Patio Postcards said...

Nice new bridge & it looks like they tried to keep the look & feel of the bridge in keeping with the rest of the historic buildings in the area. I like the idea of those little bump outs for pedestrian traffic.

Marie Smith said...

It is good the bridge is finished before spring takes hold for this year at least.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Just to be out and about makes any day great, photos or not, so sure that you both enjoyed the outing. Regarding your comment on my blog post today, from what I read those incarcerated at the former Medfield Asylum had a better life than at other similar facilities.

gigi-hawaii said...

What I notice is the clear blue sky. Nary a cloud in sight. It looks bright and nippy.

Karen said...

I'm happy to hear that construction is finally finished. It was a nightmare getting around in September when my friend and I were there for an event.

MARY G said...

You are h aving a love affair with that building. Nice flag way up high shot. Nice day, eh.

NGS said...

But why is there still a nutcracker out? It's MARCH?! I'm so confused about when seasonal decor is left out!

Barbara Rogers said...

I like you taking the photo of the strange flat soldier, is it a nutcracker really? That bridge does invite a photographer to stop...as long as he didh't leave his vehicle on the bridge!

RedPat said...

It's nice to get out & about when the sun is out and feels warm even when the air is still cool.

DJan said...

What did he have to say for himself, being around so long after the season? :-)

roentare said...

It is good to see your travel photos on the road. The bridges look artistically built and the castle like buildings are so gorgeous looking too. Road trip is what I had been doing lately. I really enjoy it too.

Debby said...

Okay. I just have to know. How does that flag get raised and lowered??!

Margaret said...

Photos that chronicle your city, your activities and your life are always welcome! It's fun to see inside your world.

Anvilcloud said...

Great question, Debby. I have no answer. I know that there is a door to a platform up near the top, but I don’t know how they get form that platform to the spire. I have been on the platform very briefly, but my vertigo couldn’t take it, so I didn't look around much. It wasn’t even fenced up there.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'd like to take that photo sitting on the patio!

Jeanie said...

That blue sky is spectacular. I like seeing Christmas things a little after. They cheer me!