Friday, March 17, 2023

It Almost Always Snows

My urologist operates (so to speak) out of the hospital in Smiths Falls. It is only a half hour drive, or even a bit less, but it seems like an ill-fated drive. No, that's not the right way to put it, so let me just say that my winter appointments there seem to more often than not occur in snowy weather.

This has been true for about 18 years now and has become almost a standing joke, except it isn't really very funny. In the recent catheter crisis, I actually cancelled my removal appointment when the weather promised to be even worse than usual.

Tuesday was my 6-week debriefing, and just look at the weather. The first two pics were taken as we were about to leave our town. The third photo was taken farther along; thankfully, the snow was no longer accumulating was gone by then.




The doc and I had no great concerns to share with each other. For my part, the clotting has stopped. For his part, the biopsy proved to not to be cancerous. However, he still has some concern with it as it doesn't appear quite normal either, so he has scheduled another cystoscope for June when at least it won't be snowing. I did apprise him the problem that I had with home care, or the lack of such, and he promised to look into it.

The ride home was uneventful, and we stopped off for breakfast — a scrambled wrap for me with a hollandaise sauce for dipping along with a generous helping of home fries.


In a sense, the big breakfast for two only cost $12.70 because we had a $50 gift card which was given to us after we spent $12K on a new furnace and AC last summer. First, I drained the gift card, and then I used my regular card to pay the rest, the larger portion of which was the tip.

It was the tip plus this ↓ that put us over the top.


From where Sue sat, she could stare directly at a chocolate cake on the counter. We decided to order a piece to share. I'm glad we shared, for it was $8/per slice. We should have known, for a friend recently paid $100 for a whole cake from this restaurant. Mind you, it was big enough for a large party, but still . . .

The cost for this breakfast was in addition to breakfast at the sugar shack last week and means that we have spent a very large whack of dough on breakfast this month. That is a lot for us, and there is a dinner or two to come, but I'll get to that later.

I must say that both the breakfast and cake were very good. Sue maintains, however, that the cake was not $8 good.

21 comments:

William Kendall said...

That cake looks to die for.

Marcia said...

It is a rich cake but $8? Wow! Glad the appointment went well.

Suemn said...

Your breakfast looks really good to me. I'm not a big lover of chocolate so I would have passed on the cake even though it does look like it would have been good. It's always a good deal and fun to eat out when you have a gift card to cover most or all of the cost.

Debby said...

It is a luxurious feeling to sometimes eat out. We don't do that much, or if we do, it tends to be a quick bite.

Marie Smith said...

Amazing that prices have gone up so much but we still buy such treats. Who could pass up that cake though?

Barbara Rogers said...

So glad the weather improved for this outing. Good looking breakfast. My mouth waters for the cake, but that price is what's been happening lately. Somehow rather than raise prices by a few cents, they seem to go for 2 dollars.

Boud said...

No cake is worth that $$! I hope you can finally get done with these visits, and the June appointment is very undramatic. I guess the posh breakfast was a consolation prize for the bad weather drive.

Blondi Blathers said...

New profile pic! You just keep getting more handsome. Tell Sue she'd best not "advertise your man" LOL hope she's heard that song.

Glad to hear the not-cancerous announcement. That's always a relief.
In my case -- the breast lump -- did I write about it? Maybe not. Anyway the mammogram and doctor agreed with the pendulum and the dowsing rods that it's not cancerous either. Happy dance re both -- no malignancy, and divinatory reliability (which I have been testing and continue to do so re prevention of frequent cold sores and migraines; so far it really looks like they can be counted upon, and soon I will abandon my doubting Thomasina testing).

Kate

Red said...

Good that the urology report was positive. It's a challenge when they keep calling you back.

Celia said...

Glad your urology report was good. Very attractive cake but what I'm envying is the breakfast, Yummy. Eating out here in WA State is pricey too. Sigh but I'd celebrate the good news too,

MARY G said...

For a while I was going for appointments to Smiths Falls and, hmm, it snowed a lot. Not as much as when I have to go to Ottawa though. Do not offend the weather gods, for they will let you know.
However, choc cake that looks like that, regardless of the price tag, would lure me.

Ed said...

I have quite a few friends that eat out at least five or six meals a week. I shudder to think of their monthly food costs compared to ours. Eating out, especially good food and not junk food, is expensive.

gigi-hawaii said...

That's a lot to spend on breakfast. However, you can't put a price on happiness. I am sorry that your urologist wants to see you again in June. What a hassle!

RedPat said...

Great for the good report from the doc.
The cake looks good but the situation with tips has become crazy with some places expecting 25 or 30%.

Margaret said...

I wouldn't be tempted by the cake but definitely want your breakfast! It looks delicious. I love breakfast out!! Although it used to be much cheaper. Glad that you got a clearish bill of health from the urologist.

Jeanie said...

So glad for the good report and hope the June cysto is just as good. But boy -- talk about that drive! You shouldn't have to put your life in jeopardy to go to the doctor to find out if your life is in jeopardy! Glad to hear you shared about the home care. That's really bad.

DrumMajor said...

Glad things are better with the doc. The cake looks like it has a little bit of cake with all of that rich icing. It's the eggs: the eggs in your wrap and in the cake costs more too! Keep that June appointment! Linda in Kansas

Joanne Noragon said...

If that whole cake were yellow and decked out with buttercream frosting, I would pay $8, happily.

Kay said...

I'm so relieved for you, John, that it wasn't cancerous. You're looking like you've lost some weight.
$100 for a cake? Wow!

Granny Sue said...

I think you deserved that breakfast, and the cake! Driving in snow early in the morning---yuck. Good doc report though.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'll say what I say to hubby, you are worth it!