Wednesday, May 28, 2014

In the Park

Riverside Park in Carleton Place is a wonderful spot on the banks of the Mississippi River (the little Mississippi in Eastern Ontario).

I did something that I haven't done much for quite awhile now — went out specifically to take photos. It was early evening and in shorts and without repellent I was unprepared for the swarm of mosquitoes. I didn't stay long.  ↓


On another day, we took a picnic lunch and watched part of a science class netting critters by the bank. The high school is on the edge of the park, and we see students out there at various times, sometimes sketching, sometimes capturing, sometimes just reading.

I experimented with a vintage look in both of the following versions. It is the same photo with two different processings applied. I thought the style was appropriate for a lazy summer afternoon.



After lunch, we strolled to the far end of the park and found at least four Canada Goose families. Each family stayed together: mom, dad and goslings. I find that quite remarkable. In the second photo, I picture the adult trying to get the goslings into a line.




14 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

loved the last 2 shots! and also love that the classes get to enjoy the outdoors. sweet pinks and blues in that first!

Mara said...

That last photo is actually quite scary: all these cute goslings and then this big head coming out of the water behind them. Could be a gosling horror movie!

Donna said...

Beautiful shots Ac...Wish I could get all my goslings in a row like that...Hahaa...sweet!
hughugs

Hilary said...

A nice collection, AC. Dusk sure looks pretty on the Mississippi. And I quite like the vintage colour in the second image. Who can resist those darling goslings!

Gail Dixon said...

Beautiful sunset!! Love the b&w shot of the science class. The Canada Geese family stole my heart though. Mama looks so serious in that last shot. Awesome!

Lorna said...

What a range of emotion you took me through with these photos!

Country Gal said...

Wonderful photos ! Sounds like a good day out taking photos , one of my favorite things to do is getting lost in loveliness of nature with my camera , minus the skitters lol . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

troutbirder said...

Looks like a fun outing except for the mosquitoes. I sure loved all those trilliums...:)

Shammickite said...

No mosquitoes here yet, but I'm sure they are lurking in the bushes just waiting for me to expose my flesh for their enjoyment. Canada geese are such good parents, although sometimes not too bright. A mummy goose and goslings stopped the traffic both ways on a busy road yesterday as they crossed to the other side!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes to pesky mosquitoes here as well, John, as we have already had several hot and humid days. The retro looked worked well with the park photos and it is fun to experiment with "looks" it didnlook like an alignment drill in the lastnphoto...veyr well done by the parent and yourself!

Ginnie said...

Those goslings are so serene ... the poor Mom doesn't seem to be making much progress to hurry them along ! Sometimes your photos are more like paintings, AC. Lovely.

Tabor said...

Great expressive captures which is what all photographers look for!

Gina said...

I love the vintage look, all of the photos from my childhood pretty much look like that!

MARY G said...

We have all the biting bugs up here - swarms of black flies last evening with the mosquies. Not getting the perennial beds weeded. Love the masked colour shot of the kids and both shots of the goose chicks, esp the last one. Nice take.