Sunday, November 11, 2012

Remembrance Day

In honour of Remembrance Day, I present this photo of three tombstones bearing poppies in our local cemetery. The red hat is mine. I just think it adds a touch and it's colour goes with that of the poppies.



In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.


by John McCrae, 1919

Perhaps the most touching song for this day in The Band Played Waltzing Matilda. It was written by an Australian but is sung by Canadian, John McDermott, in this clip. I think it will will touch you, if the song is new to you, or even if it isn't.

7 comments:

Mara said...

Thank you for that song. I didn't know it, but it sure did touch me!

troutbirder said...

I knew the poem but not the song. Both heartrending for sure....

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

It is more than a song in Australia. It is a national anthem, sung whenever Aussies are gathered and feel nationalistic.

I was tempted to post "There Will Always be an England" or "Land of Hope and Glory" but I thought my English heritage might show too much :)

Lorna said...

As a matter of principle, I never play the songs that make me cry, unless it's about romance. That is how i keep my youthful approach to life.

Bernie said...

I love this song, I have always loved John McDermott's songs. Hope you all had a good day...big hugs

Ruth said...

Waltzing Matilda is one of my very favourite ear worms. I It will be in my head for days now :-)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The red was a nice touch, John. I was not familiar with the song, but enjoyed the rendition.