Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Inaugural Image

It's been quite a day! Just in case you missed it, here is a satellite photo of the inauguration that I found on this website.



Apparently, Google now has its own satellite, GeoEye-1, up in orbit, and although it still seems to be in the process of getting up and running, it was able to take this high resolution photo. It's a pretty good image, especially considering that it was taken from 423 miles (681 km) up there while travelling at a speed of 17 000 mph (27359 kph). The detail is pretty darn amazing, eh?

5 comments:

Mara said...

I didn't think I would watch it, but was very glad I did anyway. It was incredibly impressive and I must admit my pizza did taste a bit salty (it was nearly 6pm over here by the time it finished)...

ChrisB said...

That's very clever.

Ruth said...

That is an amazing photo. Have you looked up your home on Google Earth? We can see our neighbour's trailer and car parked in front of the house and count how many swimming pools are in the neighbourhood.

Woman in a Window said...

Amazing, and scary too. That photo from that distance. That many people in that small of a space. I'm glad no one got hurt, at least I hope that's the case.

Anonymous said...

a most impressive image!