Sunday, July 13, 2008

Still No Trophy

I have confessed to not being a tremendous athlete although I have recently blogged about a modicum of success at two racket/paddle sports — tennis and table tennis. Although I won a crest for the tennis victory that I recounted in my last post, I still had never won a trophy of any kind for any reason. In point of fact, I've never won much of anything. For example: in all those yearly play (or field) days that kids are forced to enjoy/endure (take your pick) in elementary school, I only ever managed to win one ribbon and that was for third place. It was a race over gym benches that were set up like hurdles. I don't know how I even won that because I was neither fleet nor a good jumper. Nevertheless ...

Let's face it, one ribbon plus one crest do not represent standout lifetime achievement, and I couldn't even remedy my lot when I joined the teachers bowling league. I only played for two years before tiring of the game, but I am still bitter (just kidding) over not being given a trophy in my second year.

In my first year, I hadn't bowled for a while, so it took me a while to get my average up, and I sure didn't qualify for the trophies which they awarded to the five players with the best averages. But lo and behold, did I not attain the fifth best average in my second year and was I not in line for a trophy? Alas, no! No trophy for AC. Due to budget constraints, the league only awarded trophies to the top three players that year. No wonder I quit in a huff, eh? (more kidding)

Eventually, I did win a trophy of sorts, but that account will have to wait.

6 comments:

Ginnie said...

Forget those other trophies AC... you definitely win one for the outstanding pictures that you take of the wee one. (of course she does her part, too.)

Turtle Guy said...

The only paddle sport I'm good at involves a canoe.

...me an' ball-sports don't get along all that well.

Amanda said...

You deserve a medal for being an outstanding Grandpa:)

Woman in a Window said...

Bowling is just about the best 1970ish thing in the world! Forget the trophy. You shoulda ran off with the shoes!

Janet said...

Definitely not athletic over here. I took up rock climbing at age 34. There's no running involved, and you don't even have to be particularly coordinated because if you fall off you're hanging from a rope (I don't do lead climbing). I have trophies for academic things from high school. With them I have achieved monumental success and wealth . . . and . . . uh . . . never mind.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

It is time you got a trophy "World's Greatest Grampa". It may not be an olympic sport but you go about it in a pretty exhausting physical way.