Friday, August 28, 2026

Remembering the Slight but not the Story

I am sorry, but I don't read your book reports or your recipes because I know that I won't read the books or cook the meals. It's not that I don't read or cook in my little life, but it is highly unlikely that I would ever get around to reading your particular book or trying particular your recipe. 

However, I did catch enough of JellyJules' Land post to realize that, judging from the first sentence or two, she wrote it very well. It made me think that writing a good book report takes talent and thought. And that caused me remember my verbal book report way back in 1961 in grade 8. It was on Young Mac of Fort Vancouver.

from Wikipedia

After I read my report to the class, Ms Janny commented that it sounded like it was from the back or flyleaf of the book (I forget exactly).

I shook my head and said, "No," but I guess I should have been indignant because it wasn't borrowed or copied. It was my own, and I would like to march back through time right now and state that emphatically. As I look back I think that I could have found the book and brought it to her as proof positive, but it is now a little late to state my case.

I remember nothing about the story, but I remember the incident. I did dig this out of Wikipedia, but it feels foreign to me after all of this time.

Young Mac of Fort Vancouver is a 1940 children's historical fiction novel written by Mary Jane Carr and illustrated by Richard Holberg. Set in 1832, it recounts the adventures of Donald "Mac" McDermott, a young mixed-blood fur trader. Mac's father's dying wish was for Mac to receive an education from Dr. McLoughlin in Fort Vancouver along the Columbia River. At the fort, Mac is injured after a horse he is riding trips. He is taken to Three Gulls, a medicine man, where he recovers. Three Gulls dies of the plague, and the other indians in the village capture him, blaming him for the death. Mac escapes with the help of Yellow Bird and returns to the fort. Later, he travels to Quebec to locate his grandfather, and Mac moves to Edinburgh to study medicine, returning to the fort ten years later. (Wikipedia)

Whether I remember the details or not, I clearly remember the name of the book and Ms Janny's accusation after I read my report from the second seat of the fourth row. I am not so much irked by Ms Janny because she complimented me in a way that she did not intend5. I am disappointed in myself for letting it drop, but I was just a kid and never thought to fight for myself.

22 comments:

  1. You probably simply respected your teacher.
    The fact that you still have such vivid memories of it suggests that you were indeed treated unfairly.
    I visited Edinburgh, Scotland, last year and was absolutely thrilled by that fantastic city... but you probably mean Edinburgh, Texas.
    Best regards, Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would have gone to the Edinburgh in Scotland way back then.

      Delete
  2. There's no slight if you don't need blog posts with recipes or book reviews, AC, because it's the same with myself for political rants, As for not rebutting your teacher's comment of your book report, you were young and not wise enough in the ways of adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to filter according to personal preferences although I don't think that most of what I come across qualifies as rants, whether they align with my views or not. Now, other social media is, for sure, another thing entirely.

      Delete
  3. Recently, while sorting used books in preparation for a sale to raise money for our local library, I came across a book, "Johnny Tremain", that was the focus of my attention at about the same age in school as Young Mac. I set it aside and brought it home with me and I hope to read it later this fall and see if it is everything I remembered it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do I have a vague memory of Johnny Tremain in Classic Comics? There is something niggling in my brain.,

      Delete
    2. Johnny Tremain was a favorite of mine. When I taught 4th grade I think I may have read it to the class.

      Delete
    3. AC - I doubt Johnny Tremain is a favorite on that side of the border as it is set during our Revolutionary War. Essentially Johnny becomes a silver smith apprentice who gets injured but meets a doctor who helps him to be able to fire a gun in the war. At least that is my memory of it from 50 years ago.

      Delete
  4. It's fine to pick and choose your reading. I've completely stopped reading anything at all in blog land that's just a rant, for instance! Sometimes though, I read book reviews because they save me the trouble of reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't recall ever doing a book report, maybe they just didn't have that in Australia in the 50s and 60s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the only verbal one that I remember. Was it the only one at all? Not sure.

      Delete
  6. It’s funny the things we remember from our childhood. It obviously left an impression on your young self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you were brought up to respect your elders there is no way you would have said anymore than you did. It wasn’t done. Taking it as a compliment is a good way of thinking about it. BTW, I rarely have a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you need recipes. You seem to know just what to do and how to do it.

      Delete
  8. It's fortunate that those incidents rarely happen. I called somebody fowl once. I had simple poetry writing assignment. One boy submitted a poem that was definitely adult female...his mother. He freely admitted it was his Mom I gave him credit as it was a very difficult assignment for him and he was very honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least he submitted something, and it was a poem, I gather. One has to make allowances.

      Delete
  9. Compliment or plagarism accusation? How can a kid of 11 know the nuance! It sounds like a good book at the time and I'll bet it was a great report!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was rather nasty of her. You were a young kid!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As an eighth grader, you were impressed by not only the book enough to write a good original report, but also how your teacher treated you...giving you an emotional reaction that remains today. I love reading, and we did write many book reports. Of course most eighth graders of our broad generation didn't have a clue as to how to respond to injustices from authorities. Many still don't!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are 8th graders of today even learning to write book reports. In homeschooling granddaughter #1 last year (I did it one day a week but focused on reading) I was surprised how ill equipped she was to write a book report. We read together The Borrowers, A Door in the Wall, and My Side of the Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, if only we could go back for a redo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that stings! I agree, that was uncalled for. She should have known better.

    ReplyDelete