Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Last Year At This Time ...

... we travelled to the cottage where Cuppa and I would pass Christmas before travelling here, to Ottawa, to spend a slightly delayed celebration with the kids.


When we left still green Sarnia for the six hour drive to the Riverwood cottage, we were hoping that there would be some snow up there in cottage country. However, as we got within an hour of the cottage, a wondrous sight began to unfold: quantities of snow began to accumulate, and the closer we got to our destination, the deeper the snow became. By the time we pulled into the Riverwood gate , we were in a veritable Christmas Card. That's the way that we described in then, and that's the way that I describe it now.


The boughs of the woods were indeed all hung with snow, and we did go about in a state of wonderment and appreciation for the unexpected gift that had been bestowed upon us.


To see the loveliness for yourself, check out these posts and their photos: Still in a Christmas Card, Morning Light, and Rambling in the Cold.


We aren't getting that kind of weather here yet this year, and neither are they at Riverwood. Oh, we have some snow, and we're weathering a pretty icy blast right now as temperatures hover around 0°F, but we're not experiencing the magic of boughs bowing reverently under the weight of their dense yet fluffy burden. With more than a week and half remaining before the jolly red-clad elf comes calling, we remain hopeful that a significant snowfall might yet occur; but if it doesn't happen, we'll content ourselves with counting our many other blessings.


 

10 comments:

Madcap said...

We had a good snow, but a chinook stole it all away on us. Another new skiff yesterday, so we'll see what we can drum up in the next 10 days! I understand Santa may be using wheels rather than runners this year...

Dale said...

The Weather Network is predicting snow for Manitoba and Ontario over the next two days. 15-30 cm. You may get your Christmas wish.

mreddie said...

All we can do down here in the south is just dream of a white Christmas like the old song says. Enjoyed the pics AC, that may be the only snow I get to see - in pictures. :) ec

Bonita said...

Yes, I'm wishing for about 2 feet of snow, without any footprints or tire tracks. Martin of Inuvik really seemed to put all of us in our places, should we whine a bit. I'm going to check out his photos to see if he's got some as nice as yours.

Anonymous said...

I could gift you some snow.. we certainly have enough to share. It is snowing here as I write this. They are predicting nothing but snow for the next 4 days.

PBS said...

It's snowing right now and we already have received quite a bit. The schools were closed today but I still had to go into town for work, of course.

Darlene said...

Oh, how I love your pictures, so wondrous. And just as wonderful is the so-descriptive wording you use to describe your ventures. I can feel the slight chill in the air, yet inwardly enjoy the sense of warmth, just as you did. You brought the scenery into my home, not just visually, but by awakening my senses. So appreciate that.

We actually had a fairly heavy snowfall today, first time this year. Really messed up our driving, but it was warm out, so everything looks so beautiful.

George Breed said...

No snow here in Flagstaff and on San Francisco Peaks. Dry as a bone. We lament. We want our winter snow fun!

The MacBean Gene said...

Dear Mr. Anvilcloud,
I visited your blog for the first time via Bonita. Your part of Gods earth looks a lot like our Grounhog Mountain, especially the deer. I like your blog and if I may suggest increasing the size of your font it would make it a lot easier on my old eyes. Just a suggestion, I'll be back.
Your newest reader,
Dave
P.S. I'm also the father of two girls.

Anvilcloud said...

Welcome Mr MacBean

Font size is such a problem. On my very high res screen, it looks as big or bigger than most blogs, and I don't want to make it too huge. Anybody else have any observations? Of course, the shelf life of this post is probably over, so I won't get any answers. Maybe I'll ask in a blog post someday.