Monday, February 18, 2008

Seasonal Charm

I promised you more pictures, so whether you like it or not, here they are. This is a bridge to nowhere. The property backs onto the Crowe River, and there is a large tract of forested land on the other side. Some of my BIL's hunt-loving neighbours built this bridge in order to access said land during the appropriate season, but the owner barred the way, so it remains as a Bridge to Nowhere. While I don't love the notion of hunting, I also don't care for the landowner's selfishness. I have seen this more than enough up there where there is an abundance of almost unused land. We're a strange lot, we humans.

Bridging the Ice

Another snowy pine branch and cone very near the other in the previous post.

Pining Away

The previous two photos showed how sunny it was, but then, as I mentioned in the prior post, the wind whipped up the snow in some sort of devilish fury. It was sudden and strange and only lasted for a few minutes.

Weather Up Ahead

And this was was of those moments. That's Cuppa and BIL trudging through the driving snow. BIL's two dogs accompanied us, and they are both in the photo, but you might only see one in the size that I am showing you here.

Trudging Through the Squall

So, you see, all of ye doubters, each season has its beauty and charm. Having made that point, I hasten to confess that I've just about enjoyed my quotient of winter charm for this year.

10 comments:

Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I heart the snow!

Glad you two got a break.

Lorna said...

I'm with you AC; enough snow and strangely, enough rain; last night, just getting to and from the car was a nightmare. I'm so grateful I didn't have to actually walk anywhere

Anonymous said...

I think the snow looks beautiful on your photos, you have caught the beauty perfectly but I don't envy you the snow at all. I know that most people have the idea of English winters beeing snowy from picture postcards strewn with snow looking all wintry and cold but to be honest I can't rmember the last bad winter that we had. I remember the huge drifts when I was little and how my brother and I made an igloo...
Now we seem to be thrown into blind panic with anything above an inch of snow!
Lovely pics and words. ;o)

Ruth said...

Lovely winter pictures. The bridge is very picturesque even though it is useless. Winter has no charm for me any more.

Ginger said...

Gorgeous photos. For your sake, though, I do hope spring comes to your part of the continent soon. We have fog freezing beautifully on our trees today.

Ginnie said...

I agree with you, AC. "Each season does have it's charms"... especially when seen through your lovely pictures and not actually experiencing it in person !

ChrisB said...

I'll just echo what everyone else says~ there is something about snow that makes for wonderful photos. The bridge reminds me of a line in a song 'we're on the road to nowhere'!

Donna said...

...I'll Never be able to take photos like that!!! Absolutely beautiful...

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Your pictures are great. I wish I had a better camera. The scenery is familiar. It looks a lot like places around here.

JunieRose2005 said...

These are beautiful!!!

I just can't imagine being in all that snow!


Junie