Friday, February 22, 2008

Barney, the Lost Bassett Hound

Just a week ago this morning, I took this photo through the cottage window. Minutes later an otter came gallumphing down the lane. Well, I at first thought it was an otter or seal because the gait of whatever it was seemed like the way those critters move on land.



But it was a doggie: a Bassett hound with very short legs that made it difficult to go through the snow. Isn't he cute?



He wasn't just cute but nice. A real cuddler.



But he was lost and without even a tag. So I donned my gear and set out to see if he belonged to the neighbours.


It's country up there, so neighbours aren't all that close, and I had to drive. I could distinguish dog tracks in the nearest neighbour's place, but they weren't home and the unshovelled snow informed me that they hadn't been home for some time, so I drove on to the next house, and it didn't belong to them either, but they sent me to its possible owner. Except it wasn't. It was, however, a local lady with deep roots in the area, so she began to call around. Meanwhile I called on several other locals, but no one knew the doggie, and animal control had no reports of a missing dog in our area.

What to do? We were going home the next day, and we're not able to take in a stray dog at this time, especially one who would have to be transported a long way in a very packed vehicle. Well, the local lady was willing to take him in as she searched for his owner whom she thought she would be able to track down. She already had three dogs, one a younger Bassett as it happens, so it wasn't a big deal for her to keep the one extra pooch for a little while.

Except, she couldn't track anyone down. Some folks claimed that they had seen the dog wandering down the road that morning, but nobody knows its origin, and nobody was exactly jumping up to claim Barney (our name for the little guy). I hope that he hadn't just been dumped and abandoned by some city person. I know that happens in the country sometimes, but surely not in the middle of winter to an almost legless dog?! It makes me sad to even contemplate that possibility.

Anyway, we dropped him off at Nice Local Lady's place and had reason to drop by again later that afternoon. He greeted me happily (see photo below) and Nice Lady reported that he was settling in fine and having a grand time with the other dogs. She said that if Barney didn't have a home, he now had one with her.



I hope Barney has a happy life whatever the outcome because he was a very nice, lovable little thing. There he is (above) at her place by my feet as I approached the house on my return visit.

15 comments:

JunieRose2005 said...

What an adorable looking little dog! I had a Bassett named Barney, too! And these pictures bring back memories of our Barney!

It's good that nice lady will keep him if no one claims him! He'll be fine.


Junie

KGMom said...

Oh AC--I do hope you can give us updates on Barney's "fate". I know he has a home with "nice lady" but I am so curious to know if original owner ever comes around.
I just hate when people discard animals as so much garbage.
Hmmm--maybe Barney sought you out knowing what nice people you are?!

Lorna said...

my first instinct would have been to run; my second would have been the same; thank goodness for caring people like you who aren't afraid of cute little dogs

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

As the owner of a dog with a similar temperment "a lover not a fighter" it is too bad you couldn't take it in. the Smudge would have loved it, if she could get it away from you.

Donna said...

I'm with tossing pebbles! What a treat for her...ahhemmmmm..and You?!! Me thinks you were smitten!! Precious story.

Anonymous said...

He certainly looks like a cuddlesome chap! Oh I woul dhave squished him in the car and taken him home.... thought about the logistics later! I haven't seen a bassett hound in years... Except for Fred. :o)
http://www.gocomics.com/fredbasset/

Dale said...

You are a good man, AC.
You set a good example for us lesser beings.

ChrisB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChrisB said...

That sounds like he will have a very good home with the kind local lady!

Ginnie said...

That's one lucky little Barney dog.So glad it was you who found him.

Cathy said...

God bless you. I've got tears in my eyes. It was Barney's lucky day when you opened your door (and that considerable heart of yours)

Kila said...

Had to LOL at the third photo. Looks like you found a drinking buddy!

Good thing he found some wonderful folks to take care of him. Let us know if you find out where he came from!

I love his ears.

mreddie said...

Great photos, especially the one of "Barney" with those very sad eyes. ec

karla said...

Ahh. That makes me kinda sad for Barney, but glad that he will be well taken care of.

Poor little fella. Hope he finds his mom and dad soon.

Anonymous said...

Poor Barney.. this just breaks my heart. It is hard to believe that such a lovable dog would have been abandoned.. but one never knows. Thank goodness for you and for the nice "local lady."