Thursday, November 07, 2013

Star Gazing

Here is one more look at the tent, this time under the stars. I didn't see the meteor when I was taking the 30 second exposure because I was trying to light the tent with a flashlight. How neat to see it later.


I took two different turns (on different nights) wandering about trying my hand at star photos. It's pretty dark out there in the country, and the fact that we were having moonless nights, also helped.

I know very little about the stars, but I do know the Big Dipper. It stands out so clearly every time I visit. I always know exactly where to look for it.


You can see some of the lights from the cottage catching the edge of the trees. You can also see a bit of the Milky Way.


An absolute plethora of stars.



Here's another with a bit of light painting on the barn.


Shortly after taking that photo I began to wend my way to take a similar photo of the planer mill. It was then that I heard the wild yipping of a pack of coyotes coming from the direction in which I was walking. I could tell they were a little way away, but the image of a pack of coyotes hurtling my way caused me to do an about fact and head back to the safety of cottage. It was a good thing, not because any coyotes appeared but because I then took the first shot of this post and caught that meteor.

Note: you can see the photos a little bigger is you click on you and then advance thru the frames.

10 comments:

Mara said...

When I have to work early I can see Orion almost straight above me. There are several more I can recognise, but know only the Dutch names of. Unfortunately I live on the most densely populated island in the whole of Norway, so there is always some light pollution coming from somewhere, so the sky over here isn't nearly as beautiful as yours.

Anonymous said...

Coyotes yikes!!! That meteor photo is cool. I don't know much about stars, either, but I like to look at them

Donna said...

FABULOUS SHOT!! You lucky thing, you!
Glad you made it back in time!
hughugs

TexWisGirl said...

really neat shots - all of them. :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Great to have taken a night shot and then discovered you indeed got more than you hoped for, John.

Gina said...

Lovely! There is so much light pollution here that I do not get to see that type of sky very often.

Jackie said...

Love the meteor trail. What a great surprise for you...and a delight for me to see.
I am so NOT GOOD at taking photos of the sky. I need to practice because I would love to get shots like these.
Lovely!

ChrisB said...

You got some really good shots AC especially the one with the meteor trail.

Lorna said...

I love stars!!

Pearl said...

forget about counting your lucky stars. photograph them.